As she combed her hair after her bath, she thought of what her grandmother said. 'You'll never be able to make it to the Final Selection a this rate.' She was right. So she had to try harder. (Y/n) turned her hair as she heard her door open to her mother. "(Y/n), how's grandma? Is she feeling any better?" She asked. (Y/n) was confused at why her mother asked that but remembered the facade she had to play. "Yes, she's getting better. She helped me weave a basket today and helped me sow back my haori when I accidentally tripped and tore the sleeve off." (Y/n) lies, remembering the boulder incident and being cut by a dagger trap her grandmother set up. "That's wonderful! I'm surprised she's helping you out. She never helped your father get married. It was always insisting he stick to mining for coal and wood." She sighed. (Y/n) frowned. 'Just one more year for the Final Selection. I have one more year of training. But it's getting me no where. I haven't fought a real opponent. Let alone learn the other 7 wind breathing skills. I can't just study with grandma.'

(Y/n) panted behind her plastic mask as her chest was binded the best it could be. Her grandmother watched from afar as she sparred again another demon slayer searching for a demon near by. (Y/n) winced it was getting harder to breath. 'End this fight before you can't breath at all.' (Y/n) charged at him again but he kept his stance. "Die!" The demon slayer yelled. (Y/n) swung her sword against his own before sparks flew around. (Y/n) groaned as her strength was over powering to the man who whimpered. 'The old hag said she was assigning a student of hers who barely begun to the Final Selection. She said her student need a push to get better. What the fuck, she's raising a beast here!' He tried lung back but she refused until the stance was getting so where. 'Light on your toes!' She bounced on her toes and slid back before remaining in stance. The man panted, gulping as he charged at her. As he raised his sword to slash (y/n), she knew she had to swing faster before him and so she did. By her strength to wield a sword with both hands with ease, she no longer struggled to lift it. The tight haori uniform that was black her grandmother gave her revealed the small muscles that formed on her biceps. They weren't much but they were something.
She smirked under her mask as she slashed the man, removing his mask diagonally across the eyes.

He gasped and backed away as he was afraid he'd go blind. (Y/n) swung at him again and pinned him with her sword. She panted, knowing she had won. He whimpered and pushed her off. He went to the elderly woman before bowing and grabbing his sword. She panted as she watched him leave, turning her back and unbundling her breast. She sighed heavily, falling on her knees, enjoying the air, believing it was almost her last. "You did splendid again another demon slayer. Although, he seemed pathetic." Her grandmother scoffed. "I would have assigned you my son but, honestly, forget him, abandoning his job after cowarding away. What was he thinking?" She muttered, unable to forgive him. As her grandmother rambled away, the (h/c) girl removed her mask and fanned herself. "Have a drink of water. Slowly." She nodded as her grandmother gave her cup of water. She began to choke and gurgle the first slip. Her mother groaned. "What did I say?!" "My bad. My bad." (Y/n) sighed.

(Y/n) slept over for the night as winter came and the nights cane sooner. She laid in her thin cot as her mother sat across the room. "I never trained my son this difficult before. You've been pushed te hardest out of all my students. And I had only 6 students. It's terrifying to think they all gave up on sight or gave up on the job." Her grandmother yawned. (Y/n) stared at the ceiling with heavy eyes. "Grandma, do you think when I become a demon slayer, I'll make it out alive?" She asked. There was no response. "We'll see after the Final Selection. Then we'll talk." She said.

The next day with the family, (Y/n) ate her dinner silently and tiresomely. "Honey, where's my haori?" Her father asked. "Why do you need it?" She asked. "Because, it's been so long since I've worn it and I want to see if I can sell it for some brass pots." (Y/n) snapped out of her trance. "Wasn't that the haori you wore when you were a demon slayer?" Her sister asked. "Was." (Y/n)'s first brother's wife spat. "And you were a wife to a demon slayer so stop bragging to the villagers you're still married to one." (Y/n)'s eyes widened as she realized what she had said. "You little bi-" "Do not speak to my daughter like that in any manner!" Her father's booming voice rose as he entered the room, holding  the haori he was searching for in his hands. "You are a mere in law and living my home! You will show respect to her! (Y/n)!" Her father scolded his daughter in law before scolding (y/n). "Since when did these lies begin?" He moved closer. She gulped. "Just... last year." she mumbled. (Y/n)'s mother sharply turned her head to the daughter in law. "You were supposed to be in mourning." She spat at her. (Y/n) couldn't believe what she had done. "I knew I wasn't blind! I was right! I knew I saw her in the village! I saw her! She was with Yohei in one of (y/n)'s kimonos!" Her older sister yelled. Her father glared at the woman. "Not only did you lie, you stole from the family?" He yelled at her, setting aside the haori. (Y/n) could feel a twinge of fear to her father even if she wasn't the one being scolded at. It was terrifying to hear his voice. Tears were brought to the corner of her eyes as she created discord at the table. "You are out of this house! You will leave Yohei in (y/n)'s hands since you want to be her so badly!"

"What?!" (Y/n), the sister in law and her mother gasped out. "She's just a child." The mother gasped as she knew he daughter would marry but she expected (y/n) to have a child by her mid 20's. "Papa, why doesn't-" "I make the rules here, (y/n)! And as a daughter you will obey them." He said. (Y/n) frowned.

She yelled as she was tackled to the ground by her sister in law and got her hair pulled. "You dirty bitch! How could you?!" She yelled.

"Get off of her!" Her mot e screamed as (y/n)'s two sisters held their mot  He r back from beings harmed and covered their sons and daughters from seeing the attack. "That's en-" Her father was cut off by (y/n) punching the woman to stop and kicking her in the gut until she was kicked on the floor laying above her. (Y/n) grabbed her sister in-law and tossed her over the shoulder, grabbing a firm grip on her shoulder. (Y/n) growled on instinct. She gave a loud battle cry before throwing her sister in law to her ground.

Her nieces screamed at the sight of (y/n), the youngest and soft appearing daughters out of the (l/n) family, seemed to be the strongest. Her mother pushed (y/n) away from the daughter in-law as her father ran to (y/n). She flinched, expecting a slap by was embraced into a hug. "Oh goodness you're alright." He sighed. He patted her head as she couldn't feel in stinging inflaming pain of her hair being pulled at. Guess the training with grandma kicked in. Her father chuckled. "You've got the blood of a real demon slayer in you." He patted her head which she gave a genuine sun beaming grin.

A real demon slayer. She wasn't even one but hell, she'd take the memory of being one right now forever.

Then she looked to see a small black haired boy sobbing, stiff against the wall, looking at his mother on the floor. Yohei's large (e/c) eyes were glassy and blurred out by the tears. She frowned.

That would be her son now.