Chapter 6

Recap:

I gently run my fingers through his hair and I place a gentle kiss on his forehead. "Love you Max," I say as I let go of his hand.

I walk around to the other side of the bed and stand next to ventilator. I let out a shaky breath as I take Max off of it. I let out a sob as Max flat lines. I kneel down and rest my head on the bed.

"I'm so sorry Max."
———

Present

Tatum's POV:

I sigh as I open the door to my apartment. Right after I close the door I take my suit jacket off. "How was it?" I hear a voice say startling me.

I quickly look up from the ground. "Julie," I say as my eyes go wide.

"Hey," she says with a soft smile.

"What are you doing here?" I ask in disbelief as I set my jacket on the couch.

"Hope called," she says walking to me, "Both of us didn't want you to be alone. Especially since you went to the funeral today."

I pull her into a hug and just take in her presence. I sigh in content as she gently starts to run her fingers through my hair. "I missed you," I mumble into her shoulder.

"I missed you too Tay Tay," she says quietly.

"How did you get in?" I ask pulling away.

She holds up the extra key in the palm of her hand. "Your extra key under the mat," she says making me chuckle.

"Makes sense," I say and she smiles.

We just stare at each other and I start to get lost in her eyes. "Um," Julie says suddenly taking a step back, "Why don't you go change. I'll make some dinner."

I watch Julie as she walks away towards the kitchen. I take a deep breath trying to push down my feelings. I grab my jacket off the couch and go to my room.

I clean myself up and change into a pair of sweatpants with a tank top. I sit on the edge of my bed when I hear a knock at the front door.

"I got it," I tell Julie as I walk out of my room.

I freeze when I open the door as I stare at the two women. "What are you two doing here?" I ask them.

"Hailey released us from the hospital and we heard what happened," Tobin says.

"And we wanted to make sure you were ok," Christen says after.

"I'm fine," I say as I close the door.

Before it closes and hand is placed on it. "Can we please talk?" Christen asks as Tobin pushes the door open.

"Not right now, guys," Julie says walking up behind me.

"Julie? What are you doing here?" Tobin asks.

"Tatum trusts me," she says and I can see some hurt in Christen's and Tobin's eye, "And I don't want her to be alone right now."

"Ok," Christen says quietly while looking at the ground.

I huff and turn around walking away. I hear the three women talking when I get to the kitchen and I see that Julie was making pasta.

I start to clean up a little when Julie walks back over. "Hey, they're leaving back for Portland tomorrow," she says placing a hand on my arm making me stop what I was doing, "Are you ok?"