Discovery

Hey, this is the shorter chapter that I wanted to make to give a little context as to how Sweet Mask found out!

Enjoy!

~~~~~

My, my...what to do, what to do...

I take a gander at my mirror. A few strands of hair are sticking out, but that's to be expected. Even a god like me has his flaws, I suppose, however little they may be. I sniff the air, satisfied. I simply cannot remember the last time when some part of me was imperfect in some way, shape or form. If there was a time? I simply...don't remember it.

I don't even yawn. It's been quite some time since I became accustomed to this...condition of mine. It's not a burden, nor is it a blessing. I just feel more like...myself.

One must simply understand how somebody as perfect as me...cannot always attend to the needs of others. That's why I was accepted to the Hero Board, actually. It'd be best for someone of my stature to help judge the actions of other heroes, but sometimes, I need a break to choose what I wish to do.

Now, what I do on the Hero Board? It's all humane, I promise you, but most of the time, I monitor the behavior of other heroes and make sure that it's in the name of justice. Nothing much, really, just a minor trifle.

How could I do that by myself, you ask?

It's simple. I don't.

You see, unfortunately, most of the heroes in the lower class are simply inferior to those in either A-class or S-Class. Sometimes, it doesn't even mean that those in the same class as I are worthy of my respect. For example, somebody like...Tank Top Master? He's strong, but not...hero strong.

That's precisely why I can...bribe those beneath me. Specifically, those who somehow made it to C-Class. Those weaklings are the key to this...operation that I run. It's nothing but a game.

Just a little bit of a carrot on a stick I put in front of them, and they follow endlessly. Like a dog chasing their own tail, honestly. It's almost adorable how easily their mind'll be diverted from ambition, how easily they'll go down the shadier path for a little morsel of fame.

Which is exactly why it's so disgusting. Letting such miscreants into the Hero Association is quite a shame, as most of the time, they're barely able to even count as heroes. Unfortunately, getting rid of them is out of my power. It'd be up to someone like Sitch. I'm not sure why, but for some reason, I respect him more than the other suits working there.

Yet, of course, with my sublime genius, I find a way to make it to my advantage. I use these....worthless peasants that are in the system to weed out the weak, find out who's worth watching, learning about who's actually not useless, and who I can help become more well known. It's an odd system, where I, the angel that I am, have to come down and bring others up with me. I suppose it's my duty to bring justice if it means that I have to find those who can deliver justice myself.

Why do I bring all of this up, you may ask? Why I admit that I bribe the lower heroes with a little bit of a raise in rank? What could possibly be so important that I risk spilling it to the public, which I spill to you?

Simply because this is an S-Class matter, of course. I'd never risk this information even reaching the ears of anyone else...not good for the image of the Hero Association. The S-Class heroes, of course, are a different story.

A few of them are undesirable. Puri Puri Prisoner, mainly. However, that was an inevitable mistake that I could not have modified if I tried. He simply got in the Association before I did.

But the majority of them? Someone like Silverfang or Zombieman or Flashy Flash? King? They're capable. Which is exactly why I like keeping an eye on them.