Chapter 16: Emotions

"Well take a seat, apparently the Room thought you needed cocoa too."

  He smirks at that. As I take off my robe he sees Ced's jumper, and the badger necklace hanging delicately. His eyes go to my hand and sees the ring and bracelet.

  "Stop staring Malfoy. It's not polite," I halfway am annoyed, but also curious as to why he is taking such an interest in me.

  "I wasn't staring at you, Artemis," he sighed annoyed.

  "You never say my actual name," I comment sitting and handing him a mug.

  He takes it gingerly out of my hand, contemplating exactly what he wants to say. A few minutes pass and he sits, also placing the mug down.

  "I'm not going with words, or emotions, I guess. You know my family and my upbringing. There's a lot about me, about my..." he trailed off and I waited for him to say more. "You always wear that stuff?" He points to the jumper and my jewelry.

  "Yes," I nod.

  "Why?" He asked curiously, no malice, just a wondering thought.

  It was my turn to sit and ponder, watching the fire,  before I replied.

  "They make me feel happy, and remind me what I'm fighting for. Cedric was my first love, I didn't think I could love or even feel after my parents died, but he helped show me that I could." I pause looking to see if Malfoy is really listening. He is staring at me, waiting. "After last year at school, with Ced, I still feel alone, even with all my friends around me. So alone constantly, but I always have to be calm and happy. Even when my head is screaming to lash out or cry. I don't know if I can love again, but I'd like to, maybe. Fifteen is pretty young to think this way, but I've lost so many people close to me. I guess when the Twins just ran out it made me feel even more alone, like the light went out in my head."

  I didn't notice that I had started crying, or that Malfoy had moved closer until I stopped rambling. I wiped my tears with the sleeves of Ced's jumper, waiting for Malfoy to laugh or say something snarky. He never did. He nodded and held my hand for a minute. Then, once I calmed down we sat in silence until our cocoa was done. He got up to leave, I stopped him to say a simple 'thanks' and he left. I sat thinking about how Malfoy actually seemed like a human being. I finally left and headed up to the tower for bed.