Chapter 21: The Heart Finally Chooses

Start from the beginning

Sungjae tilted his head, waiting for a comeback from Joy just like the old times. She had always been competitive when it comes to their teasing. However, Sungjae detected little traces of hesitation in Joy's eyes instead.

"Partly," Joy finally broke her silence. A sense of hope lit up in Sungjae's heart. "...but I also wanted to talk to you about something," she then added.

"W-what is it about?" Sungjae sensed the seriousness in Joy's tone and started to get nervous.

Joy reached out to Sungjae's arm and held it tightly. "Later. I want to enjoy this day first with you. It's my last day here, you know. My flight is at 11 pm. Show me around, please?" Joy smiled, although not as brightly as she used to. "Let's make use of... that," she then teasingly pointed out to Sungjae's camera.

Startled with the revelation that today is Joy's last day in Singapore, on top of her bothering statement, Sungjae could not help but whine. "Sooyoung-ah, w-why then did you just show up to me on your last day? That's totally unfair, you know," Sungjae pouted.

"Pabo, I only have three days here because I can't just leave Wendy unnie for a long time," Joy flicked Sungjae's forehead without warning. "Why don't we just go already so we would not waste our remaining time together?" Joy chuckled before dragging Sungjae to start walking already.

Remaining time together? Sungjae was getting even more troubled deep inside. Joy's statement sounded like it had a double meaning.

"Ya! You walk so slow! I won't get to enjoy my day here. I should have asked for another date," Joy playfully said while removing her hand from his arm, slapping Sungjae back to reality.

He then took back Joy's hand and entangled it with his. "I am the best date you got, Sooyoung-ah. You will totally swoon over me in no time. Let's go!" Sungjae sprightly commented back.

The two then spent the succeeding hours roaming around the city, checking interesting shops here and there, while occasionally doing sweet gestures to each other. For a moment, things were normal again and on the outside, they looked like your typical couple who just could not get enough of each other.

At lunch time, they decided to try out a nearby restaurant that served authentic Singaporean cuisine. Sungjae found it amusing how Joy could order so much, unlike other girls who would act timid during dates.

"Wae? Wae? It's your fault that I'm eating too much. The food here is daebak!" Joy gave Sungjae a death glare before resuming her little feast.

Sungjae chuckled at the sight in front of him. He then bought a napkin to her mouth, dabbing it slowly until the small stain of chili crab was completely removed. "Aegi, aegi. You eat so well. I'm proud," Sungjae said with a smile. "I'm 100% sure you want vanilla ice cream after this?" he then added with a confident tone.

The two laughed until their faces hurt. There they were, looking at each other's souls with a sense of knowing passed between them... or so did Sungjae think. Little did he know things will change in a snap of a finger later.

After their satisfying and tummy-filling lunch, Sungjae brought Joy to the Gardens by the Bay. The massive "supertrees" there were extremely popular, and its Flower Dome that has been proclaimed to be the largest glass greenhouse in the world will surely earn him brownie points.

"Oppa, who is prettier? Me or the flowers?" Joy suddenly went full aegyo mode beside a display of orchids.

"You ask the most obvious questions, Sooyoung-ah," Sungjae rolled his eyes.