She turned, looking up at the two Royal Guards. "How long has he been like this?"

"Two days," Tom said. "Our Healers have done what they could, but their magic..."

"It's not strong enough," Elaine said flatly. She paused, thinking. One, two or even three Healers of average strength may not be enough to heal a mage like Nathan, but there should be more than that here. "Or is it not strong enough right now?" Seeing Tom's confusion, she explained, "You mentioned that the Manipulators cannot scry. Can the Healers heal?"

The woman gasped. "You think something's stopping our mages? Is that even possible?"

Elaine hesitated. "There are ways of blocking a mage's powers, temporarily. Doing so on such a large scale though, and without anyone noticing? That's going to be difficult."

"That's going to be treason," Nierin said, his voice too soft for the intensity of the hatred than ran through his words.

"You think -"

"I know," Nierin said, interrupting Tom. "The Agaithians don't have sufficient access. If they were involved, someone in the camp helped them."

Elaine left them to their argument. No doubt Nierin was right – she had found over the past weeks that he, annoyingly, often was – but she had more pressing concerns. She focused once more on Nathan, pressing both hands to chest. She sent a small burst of power into him. Not enough to do any good, or any harm, but enough to be recognised. A moment passed and she felt the answering push back. Strong, almost as strong as hers, but not quite.

Elaine let out her breath, only then realising that she had been holding it in. His power hasn't grown since we last saw each other, she thought, relief causing tears to film her eyes. Annoyed, she blinked them away.

"Can you help him?" the woman asked, kneeling beside her.

"I can heal him," Elaine said, "but it will take time and I'll need your help, Lady..." she paused, realising they had never been introduced.

"Ada," she said, managing a small smile. "If you're truly strong enough to help him, I don't think titles are necessary."

Elaine smiled and nodded. Then she turned and focused her mind, power and soul on the task of Healing.

It took three days of slow Healing before Nathan showed signs of any real improvement. Elaine might be the stronger mage, but the difference in strength between herself and Nathan was small. It took most of her energy to Heal an injury that should have been no more difficult than walking the ten minutes to the horses. She was forced to choose her battles carefully, only Healing what she needed to in order to keep him alive, and to pray to the goddess Síoch to spare him.

Nathan's magic helped her as much as it hindered her. It wanted him alive as much as she did, and though it fought her invasion, it also waged its own war on the cause of his fever. His magic shared its wielder's stubbornness, and it was thanks to that quality that Nathan was still alive.

Between Healings, she took to wandering the camp. Despite her exhaustion, she was filled with a restlessness born from rage. Her wandering granted some relief, although whether her rage stemmed from anger at Nathan for being stupid enough to get himself hurt so badly, or fury at the Agaithians for hurting him, she did not know. As Nathan was in no position to rise to her challenges, and there were no Agaithians close enough to practice the darker side of the Healing craft on, she had to make do with yelling at any Ferann soldier unfortunate enough to set off her temper. As a result, most avoided her, but it did not stop them from watching her pass by – from a safe distance – and nor did it stop the whispers. She could hardly blame them for the curiosity, but she hated the staring.