The Sorting Hat

Everyone soon got seated in the Great Hall. Slytherins at one end, Gryffindor's at the other with Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw in the middle. Everyone was mixed up at their tables, with everyone from Second to Seventh years sitting in small clumps up and down the pews, but no rhyme or reason to them. Some of the second years were at the back while my brothers and I managed to sit near the front. (Us being Fith, Fourth and Third years respectively) There was a clear space at the front near us for the First years once they were sorted. The chatter increased as the older students mingled and caught up, the tales of summer vacations and family time echoing through the large room. Pretty soon, the doors to the Great Hall opened, and everyone turned and watched in anticipation as the First years strode in between the Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw tables. Due to our lack of vision, Fred, George, Lee and myself stood to get a better view. We could see Ron and Harry in the line of students being lead by Profesor McGonagall. The voices soon started to taper out, and soon quietened as Professor McGonagall gestured to the Sorting Hat. The old, tattered thing opened it's tear-like mouth and started to sing.

Sorting Hat -

Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffis are true And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

if you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning, Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You'll make your real friends,

Those cunning folk use any means To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!

And don't get in a flap!

You're in safe hands (though I have none)

For I'm a Thinking Cap!

And with that, the Great Hall exploded with applause. The hat then bowed to each of the houses and then became still once more. When the applause died out, Professor McGonagall stepped forward with a large roll of parchment. "When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted." She announced. She un-rolled part of the parchment. "Abbott, Hannah!" A blonde girl stepped forward, took the hat and placed it on her head before sitting down. The hat flopped over her eyes. The Sorting Hat was silent for a second before shouting.