Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

"Sorry, delta airlines flight number 2353 has been canceled due to unexpected faults. We assure all passengers that the issue will be solved as soon as possible but for now it has been canceled. We apologize for the inconvenience."

What! what do they mean by it's canceled. I approached one of the workers who sat behind the counter to ask what was really going on. I was told that the airplanes had some faults and it might take close to five hours or a day to fix them.

They should have made us aware from the beginning. Why now?. What am I going to do now?. I have already checked out of the hotel and I don't think I would want to go back to Shawn's. Even if I want to, I will not know the address. I don't possibly think I can stay here either. Well, I guess it's karma. It really want me to be at the wedding.

Dragging my luggage behind me, I walked back to the carpark to get a taxi then I can look for any close by motel to stay the night. It wasn't hard getting one since most hotels and motels have been built around the airport. Some cheap, some expensive.

Time Skip

I knocked on the door, praying that she is still here. The car that is supposed to send her to the church is parked outside but I might be wrong. There was no reply so I knocked again but louder this time. I could hear movement but there was no reply. The door came open revealing an older guy. This might be the wrong room .

"I'm sorry sir I think I got the wrong room."

"Emily?"

I heard my name being called from behind him

"Aaliyah." I said making her come out.

"You are still in town? I thought you left yesterday."

"Yeah but I wasn't able to go. The flight has been cancelled."

"Oh really? then I am glad. I can see you are already dressed."

"Why wouldn't I be. It's my best friend's wedding after all."

"You look beautiful Ally and I am glad I was able to make it. I wish you all the best in this new chapter of your life. I won't ever forget how you had my back every time I fall. I love you Aaliyah."

I said trying my best not to cry. I hate weddings and if not for Edna's wedding I would have said that I haven't been to any wedding since mine failed. But seeing her beautifully dressed in her white ball gown filled me with happiness and pride.

"Thank you Emily. I love you too. I know this is not a pleasant moment for you but you went through almost all the rehearsal with me. I know it reminds you of the past but let me tell you this, I never had plans to get married. Damn! I never even thought I will find love but here I am about to get married to the love of my life. I want you to have hope, believe that you will one day find this love and happiness and when you do, it will last forever. Thank you for putting your discomfort aside and sharing in my happiness."

"You are welcome baby. Also, I think I have found the one."

"Really? when?"

"Known him for awhile but we can talk about that later. Today is your day."

"Baby girl I am so happy for you. See how you are blushing"

"Girls, if we don't go now we are going to be late." The older man who opened the door declared making us giggle through our tears.

"See what you have caused Emily. Pray I don't ruin this beautiful make up."

"You also did same right? Now my eyes are wet."

End Of flashback

I kept my head high just looking ahead, taking one step at a time like we practiced. There was no need faking any smiles because we were all filled with genuine happiness for our friend. Something or someone caught my eyes just half way through .I shook my head not believing it was him but the person looked so much like him. Standing at the alter speaking to one of the guys was Shawn dressed in a traditional gown that are only scared to priests. I didn't believe it was him since the distance between us was great but the closer I got, the more I got convinced it was him. I froze, more like my feet felt glued to the floor when his eyes fell on me locking gaze with me. Everything around me vanished, I lost track of where I was and what was happening. I became confused as to what he, a wedding guest is doing at the alter dressed strangely like a priest.

"Emily what are you doing move."

Aaliyah's desperate voice brought me out of my daze. I broke my gaze away from him, walking rapidly to my seat this time faking the smile. Throughout the one hour service I felt his gaze on me but I dared not return it. I was so lost in thought as to what was happening and why he was at the alter but my question was answered when he was introduced as Father Shawn Fritswald by the older priest I met the other day.

Father Shawn Fritswald? How could he do this? Why did he make a fool out of me and caused me to sin?. For God sake I had sex just yesterday with a Priest? No no! The thought and reality of this filled me with rage. Just praying that this service end soon because I was suffocating . The large auditorium suddenly became small.