20. UNEXPECTED HELP

Start from the beginning

I smack his arm with the back of my hand for which he overdramatically winces while rubbing the spot where I hit him.

"You're a meanie." He pouts.

"Yep. But your meanie." I say, resting my head on his shoulder.

"Damn straight." He affirms, intertwining our fingers and resting his head on top of mine.

***

Few days after my knee injury, like the past few days, with the help of Mia, I'm sitting under a tree in our school's ground, watching Nikhil play cricket with his friends, while I drool over how he looks so hot with sweat glistening from the Sun rays that fall on him, making him look like—

"Adonis?" Mia suddenly butts in.

Observing my confused face she elaborates with a solemn nod, "Yeah, you said that out loud."

Well, it isn't like Nikhil's listening to this conversation, so I settle with the truth.

"Nope. He looks like Nikhil. He looks like himself." I reply with a cheeky grin.

Sighing she retorts, "You know what I meant."

"Okay, okay, yeah. I really don't know how I didn't see this earlier..." I finish with a sigh.

"You did, but you were just too stubborn and stuck up with an oak tree too far up your ass, no offence, to admit that to yourself. You just needed a push, from someone great like me." She finishes with a shrug, popping another gummy bear into her mouth, offering me one which I decline.

Not that I don't like them, just that I had eaten mere minutes ago.

I let the last part of her statement slide and think back to those times I had learnt self-defense from him, his sweat drenched, shirtless self, teaching me moves with precision.

I had changed into a grey t-shirt and black shorts for the session and was walking towards the mat while putting my hair into a tight bun.

Which took a lot of effort, considering my hair.

Nikhil noticed me and he eyed me from head to toe, lingering a bit longer on my legs and looked away gulping.

Must be my repulsive, unfit, thick legs.

"You ready?" He asked after clearing his throat.

"Yep" I nodded while appreciating his shirtless body.

Just like how I appreciate Jensen Ackles, yes, just like that.

We stood facing each other on the mat and he started briefing about a basic punch.

"Okay so you gotta stand straight—feet must be shoulder width apart." He said, lightly nudging my feet to spread as he held my shoulders and straightened me.

Following his lead I came to the stance he told me to make and he proceeded to tell me how the thumb must be folded over the other four curled fingers to prevent the thumb from getting damaged.

We went over my stance and my fist positions to perfect it and he also gave me pointers on how to maximize the impact on the person whom we're punching.

"So, let's see what you got." He steeled himself in front of me, beckoning me to take a swing.

"Oh and don't worry, you don't have to go all soft on me and neither will I, on you." He added a bit smugly and gave me the go.

I tried my best and faked a swing with my left fist then went for a punch with my right fist.

Unfortunately, he was the more experienced one here.