"Now that you have all entered the arena." Schlatt's voice echoed around the meadow, and most competitors turned in circles to try and find him. "The game begins... NOW!"

Dream didn't wait to be attacked, didn't try to attack, and just started running out of the field as fast as he could. This was like manhunt, and all the things he'd learned from playing manhunt over the years was that it wasn't worth it to wait at the beginning and try and fight your way to the top. You had to run, evade your hunters, in this case one thousand people, and just survive the best you could.

He could hear a twang of a bow but didn't know it was aimed at him until an arrow caught him in the shoulder. He gave a small hiss of pain and tried to run faster as he heard the labored breathing of one of the other competitors right behind him. The pain in his abdomen, legs and shoulder was slowing him down a lot, so he turned and wildly swung his sword in an arc. He knew he had hit his hunter as the person behind him let out a small 'ow' of pain and stopped following him.

Dream ran as far as he could, the bright blue sky of day quickly fading into night, before he had to stop and find shelter. He saw a small opening in the treetops, the vines woven so tightly together that he could rest on the canopy above, still be able to see other people, and no one would see him. He quickly climbed a nearby tree, his green hoodie getting slightly ripped as stray branches tugged on it and pulled himself into the canopy. He could see the night sky from here, the small silver stars twinkling in the sky, almost laughing at him. They were so free up there in the vast expanse of space, and he was a prisoner, trapped in this sadistic game. He felt a little buzz on his wrist and instantly slapped it, thinking it was a bug, but his hand met cold metal instead, and he moved his wrist close to his face, trying to see the numbers and words on the screen.

Night: 1

Life Count: 913

Dead:

Dream flicked through the list of all the dead players, his whole body tense, waiting for there to be a name of someone he knew. He heaved a deep sigh of relief as he reached the bottom of the list, but then quickly paused as he heard voices from below him.

"Give up. He's probably not even here." A higher voice spoke, his British accent discernible from miles away. "How do we even know you saw him, Wilbur?"

TommyInnit.

"We don't need your negativity right now, Tommy." Dream could recognize Wilbur Soot's voice anywhere, especially after Dream had waged a war against him. "I know what I saw, and I know Fundy hit him with his crossbow just before Dream sliced him and got away. He's here. We'll find him, right Techno?"

Wilbur

Technoblade

This day was just getting better and better by the second.

"I'll find him." The monotone voice of Technoblade was low, barely reaching up to Dream.

"Then we can kill him." Wilbur finished, a dangerous edge to his voice. "Finally end Dream, forever."

Dream listened as three pairs of feet walked away, crunching on the leaves as they went and sending birds flying to the treetops. They obviously weren't trying to be careful, but then again, who would mess with Technoblade, the blood god, and Wilbur and Tommy, both very formidable fighters and tacticians.

He sighed and leaned back on the leaves, staring up at the sky and playing with the strings of his hoodie, watching as clouds passed over the moon, darkening the treetops for a split second. Dream brought out his sword, running a finger along the pristine edge, tilting it back and forth and watching the colors shimmer in the moonlight.

He was just laying down after trying to make a small blanket out of vines and leaves, when a small snap echoed from underneath him, like someone was climbing a tree next to him. He could hear multiple branches breaking, and multiple muffled voices whispering, like they were arguing about something, but Dream couldn't make out who. He readied his sword, gripping it tight in both hands, the vines and leaves swaying as the people broke through the canopy. Dream instantly swung his blade at the first person's head, and they brought their own sword up to block.

"Stop standing and help me!" the person attacking him yelled to the man behind him, in a voice so familiar that it almost made Dream scream and cry at the same time.

"Well I'm not the one who had us climb up a tree." The other man grumbled, and Dream's mouth just about dropped to the forest floor.

He knew who they were.

"Wait, stop!" he dropped his blade and flung his hands up into the air in surrender. "Stop fighting me! I'm not going to kill you!"

He backed up into a pool of moonlight so that both of his attackers could see his face, or his mask, and they instantly dropped their blades.

"Dream?" the first person almost whispered, moving closer so that his brown hair caught the light, his accent making Dream's heart leap and his hopes fall at the same time.

"George?"