Part 8

Jade spent the better part of the night mulling over plans in her head. Now that she had seen the girl, it would be easier to identify, and hopefully find, her.

The best plan she could come up with was to find all the places she had been reported jumping off a building and put them on a map. If she could find a pattern or even a central area, she might be able to narrow down where the girl was.

Jade sipped her lukewarm hot cocoa, she was never a fan of coffee, as she drove to a different part of town across from the Victorian side. She had already seen most of the places there, but she couldn't draw up enough courage to back quite yet.

She had run into very few fluke spots, probably people just trying to get attention, but she still felt that she needed to check each spot thoroughly before she marked it on the map. 

At every spot she made sure to snap a picture with her polaroid then with her phone. She wasn't going to post the pictures now, she needed all the time she could get since she wasn't making the mistake to stay out pass dark again, at least for a while.

After a few hours, Jade had seen every spot that was in the open. She gulped, squaring her shoulders, as she put in the first destination that was down an alley. She passed the building, which were much less interesting than the Victorian ones, these were just brick and mortar. They didn't even have designs or graffiti on them, just plain sun-bleached stones. 

The people were about the same as on the other side, which was to be expected, but still made a strange pang in her heart.

Jade rounded a corner and her phone buzzed, telling her a new direction. She barely glanced down before looking back up into the bellows of an alley. "Now or never." She thought, feeling her throat dry a bit.

She swallowed as she crossed the thresh hold into the musty, almost moldy, alleyway. Jade let her ears and eyes open more than she thought was possible, she had gotten out safe last time, but she doubted luck would be with her again.

After a few grueling moments, Jade rounded the last corner and stared at an abandoned construction site. She turned her phone off, wanted to conserve as much power as possible, as she walked on the border of civilization and abandonment.

She was nearly three alley ways down when she finally found the blood stain, along with some broken rubble. She didn't know if it was from the girl jumping and hitting the ground hard enough or if it was from the construction site.

Jade quickly snapped a photo on each of her cameras and jogged back to the street. "I have to do this eight more times." She groaned, clutching her shoulder strap.

--------------

After a long day of driving and investigating, Jade slouched on her couch, staring at the map rolled out on her coffee table.

"Please let me find you." She begged, pulling herself up.

Jade quickly plotted all the points she had found signs of jumping. She even color coded it. Blue for frequented spots, or what she thought were frequented spots, and red for normal spots.

She couldn't discern yet where the girl may live since she only had two parts of the city plotted, but she was already trying to make guesses.

Jade slouched back after minutes of pure deep thought, and pulled out her phone, "I still need money." She sighed, typing long paragraphs for each picture.