Settled in Punta Gorda

Start from the beginning

I reluctantly laugh along with him. "You should have seen the look on your face! What, you got a crush on her, too?" Although it's been four years since we graduated from the State College of Florida, she was majoring in Wedding Planning while I was majoring in Business, she had a  trimmed curvy figure with slender arms because she had just delivered Celeste a month before the end of our first year and she looked really attractive, even years before that; I did have a crush on Flora when puberty hit us both. I used to stare at her constantly and look away when she caught me looking at her face, boobs, or butt. I remember one time me and Flora were watching MTV's Parental Control in my dorm during our second year of college and we were joking around, drinking fruit punch when she accidentally spilled some on her rose pink shirt with the lettuce trim on the bottom of her shirt as well as her short sleeves. I offered her my dark gray shirt with red and black plaid patterned sleeves. She accepted it and I pivot on my heels to face the wall while she was changing a different shirt. Seconds later, I turned around to see her pulling the hem of my shirt down from her emerald green bra that held her breasts with upright support to her stomach as the shirt dropped to her hips. The sight of her well-endowed breasts caused a stir in my pants as my eyes were glued at her chest. Comparing then and now, I would be lying if I didn't think that Flora is buxom.

"She looks alluring." I reply truthfully as I hear her euphonic voice saying my name for the first time in years. Her voice is as pleasant as a harp when the chords are struck delicately with sweet and gentle sounds.

"We always knew you like her," Jax's boisterous cackles fills the car. "Y'all were so attached like love bugs! You and Flora were glued by the hip when we were all kids." Jax turns to the right as we pull up to a four story apartment complex with the bottom floor containing cars parked in the garage, parking the car in the parking lot before both of us exit the vehicle. The click of the trunk opens and Jax lifts the trunk for me to get my luggage. By the time I get my stuff, Jax shuts the trunk down and locks his vehicle. I follow him as he leads me to his apartment. "Across the street, are the car rental places and the bus stop will take you to West Palm Beach, so that you can see your girlfriend." Jax nudges me by the shoulder when we enter the building that has the lights shining brightly in the hallway.

"Flora's not my girlfriend; she's the best friend that I haven't seen in a long time." I defend the same time the doors of the elevator open. 

"Yeah, right!" Jax guffaws and presses the button with number 3 on it after we get in the elevator. "More like your soulmate." I feel the elevator move up and after it dings, the door slides ajar to be filled with awe at the shamrock green stencil of tropical leaves on the turquoise walls with the bottom trims of the walls white. The carpet is immaculately spotless from paper, wrappers, bottles, or crumbs of food. I turn to take notice at the depleted vending machine on the right. There are a few Reese's cups, Swedish Fish, Miss Vickie's chips, Nacho Cheese flavored Doritos, and Skittles. And the hallways smells like a clean ocean, too. Jax then stops to the door and fishes his keys out of the pocket of his jeans, inserting it into the keyhole while I glance at the apartment number 305 in a contemporary font embossed in gold. He twists the knob and the door spreads wide to reveal a much pristine residence that I never thought Jax would live in. The ivory island is by the door to the left as well as the matching tile floors while the carpet is tan. Right behind the island in the kitchen is a modern refrigerator, counter, and cabinets stocked with food and beverages. In the living room area is the chocolate brown mid-century sofa facing straight at the TV with the cherry wood coffee table between the sofa and TV as well as the bluish gray accent chair by the window. The curtains are ivory and chocolate brown just like the sofa and the island. His apartment is spotless! I inhale a fresh, crisp woodsy aroma  in Jax's apartment.

"Jax, what did you use to make your house smell so good?" I query.

"I used the Downy fabric softener along with vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and hot water to shampoo the carpet and make it smell good." Jax answers.

 "You use Downy on your carpet?" I inquiry.

"It smells like fresh laundry, right?"

I chuckle, agreeing with him. "I'm going to show you your room." As Jax directs me to the room, I notice some of the pictures hanging on the walls leading to the bedrooms of him and our family members, especially our grandparents from our mom's side of the family. It must be an old picture because of the sepia tone printed on the loving couple that could welcome any admirer with pure kindness anytime a person walks by. God bless Grandpa.

The sound of the door squeaking open beside catches my attention right away and Jax switches the bedroom light on to observe a tidy room. The carpet is the same color as the one in the living room while the walls are painted canary with the white trim on the top corners of the wall as the full bed is tucked neatly with one thousand percent of perfection just like how the housekeepers make the bed at a hotel. The poster of the Texas Rangers hangs on the wall above the bed. Memories of me wanting to play for the Texas Rangers have been a dream of mine ever since I was a kid transitioning to adult. They are still my favorite team to this day. The TV is sitting on the dresser as it is facing straight at the bed as the remote control is below the television. The desk is decorated with a desktop computer as well as the back of the computer facing the window that displays the stars crystallize in the jet black sky along with the crashing of waves coming from outside all thanks to the window being pulled up. Right by the desk and the computer is a closet with nothing but hangers aligned. I place my bags on top of the bed and turn to face Jax.

"Thank you for offering me to stay here with you, Jax. You have no idea how much I miss all of you." I walk towards as Jax walks towards me to throw his arms around me just as I wrap my arms around Jax's back with a tight squeeze in our embrace.

"We missed you too, Rattle Tattle. Welcome home, little bro."