Chapter Two

Now I was here in Miss Honeys place, it's an institution for kids like me with no family. I have been here for three days after my grandmother was killed and my parents and brother had vanished. It was lonely and cold. I haven't really spoken to any of the adults that keep questioning me about that night because I don't want to think about it. News reporters and psychiatrists come and go ever since but they haven't got a word out of me. I was sitting alone on the window sill of my cupboard like room when a chap came at my door. I opened it slightly to see who it was as I did so a girl I knew all too well barged her way in. "Hey freak!" she spat in my face. "Wanna see something sad."
I rolled my eyes and sat back on the window sill in silence. She continued on anyway informing the fact I never spoke. " Today's news, a family of five killed and kidnapped in a mass home invasion. Only one child survived luckily. We have been told the bullet that was shot at her only skimmed her back taking out a small chunk." She cackled and threw the newspaper at me. "Still not talking to anyone I see. Pity." she sneered and left my room slamming the door behind her. I rolled my eyes and picked up a book I had been reading off of my bed. She was right though I hadn't spoken to anyone since the incident and I quite frankly wasn't planning on any time soon.

It had been a few hours since I started reading and was almost time for supper I put a jumper on over my clothes and walked down to the dining hall. As I sat down on an empty table the girl from before, Amy was her name and some of her friends sat down either side of me. "Hey how are you?" she said in a sickly sweet tone. I rolled my eyes and tried to get up when she and her friend beside me pushed my shoulders so I sat down again. "I don't think so honey we aren't finished." I sighed and looked down at my lap. "Are you going to answer my question?" she sneered at me angrily. I didn't say anything and continued to stare at my lap. "Well then you know what to do girls." I felt a strong two strong arms lift me up on both my shoulders yanking me out my seat and up onto my feet. The two tall girls, their names I don't know, started to punch and kick at me sending me flying to the floor as a tear rolled down my cheek. They picked me up and slammed me into the wall holding me in place. Amy walked over until she was inches away from my face and pulled a pair of scissors she had snuck out of Miss Honeys office and began cutting my long brown hair raggedly till it was at my shoulders. Another tear rolled down my cheek as the strong girls dropped me and I collapsed onto the floor in defeat. "Aw are you gonna go cry to mummy." she spat at me with a smug expression. "Oh yeah she's dead." as she said that last remark she turned and walked away ushering the girls to follow her and they left the room. Tears I had tried so hard to hold back came flushing down my cheeks rapidly as I lay defeated on the floor. I hated Amy she was the worst person I had ever met I so badly wanted to mess up her smug face but I couldn't because she always had her minions around her I stood no chance. I hadn't realised but a girl named Molly bent down next to me with a worried expression. "Are you alright?" she said sounding concerned. I shook my head and sat up off of the stone-cold floor. We gasped when she saw my hair and the scissors sitting motionless of the floor. "How did this happen?" I looked at my lap and she held out her hand to help me up off the floor. I nodded at her in thanks and she pulled me into a tight hug. "I know you don't talk to anyone but I would still like to be friends it's horrible how those girls treat you." she explained with a sad expression.

After that evening Molly was like my big sister she stuck up for me when the girls harassed me, as she was sixteen and they where all my age they didn't dare challenge her. I was grateful to have a friend like her she was the only person in that vile establishment that I talked to I told her about my family and she told me about hers. Apparently, her mother, father and two younger brothers had died in a car accident and she was the only one to have survived. I asked her why didn't stay with her other family and she said she had none as her grandparents past away along time ago. She knew my pain and understood what it was like to lose the one's you loved the most.

After almost a week of being at the orphanage, Miss Honey told me that I was to attend school the following week, which made me extremely nervous. I missed my friends from back home. Since I was moved into the orphanage I had to change school as my old school was too far to go to. I was now in year ten and Molly was in the above me as she was one of the oldest in her year.

It was my fifteenth birthday in a couple of days which stressed me out. I ain't want to have a birthday without my family but I guess this was going to be the first of many.