Chapter One

It was cold that night, colder than it had ever been. When I think back now I don't remember much from what had happened. Only the fact that it was cold and my brother was gone, gone forever. After it had all happened I remember a screeching pain shot up my spine making me fall to the floor, shortly after I blacked out. Now you might be wondering what happened that dreadful night. Asking questions like why, how and when but don't worry all will be reviled in due time.
It was now November 23rd three days after the tragedy. My name if you are wondering is Leana Black, I'm fourteen years old and an orphan. Three days ago me and my brother were sitting on the ground playing chess in my grandmother's garage waiting to be picked up. I had heard a furious knock at the door so I ran to open it thinking it was mother and father back from there trip, oh how wrong I was. I ran through the corridor and past my gran swinging the door open as fast as I could and that's when everything took a turn for the worst. I froze looking at the man with black greasy hair and a black suit just like my fathers. I threw him a confused look as my gran started sprinting into the kitchen. "NOBODY MOVE." he boomed at the top of his voice. The man pushed past me sending me flying backwards onto the floor, he went over to my grandmother and ripped out the gun she was holding behind her back. At first, I was confused as I hadn't seen her grab the gun,  maybe it was what she had taken out of the draw in the hall. He held the gun to her head and squeezed her hands together with his. I saw a tear roll down her cheek as she looked at me, pain and fear through her eyes. "Where is the boy!" he shouted making me shudder. "I'm not telling you anything." she said with tears rolling down her cheeks. He held her tighter than before but this time he pointed the gun at me. I didn't dare move I was frozen out of fear and confusion. "He's in the garage." gran shouted a distressing look filled her watery eyes. "Good girl, we can go get him together." he whispered in her neck. At this point, she was crying to herself quietly as he started tugging her through the corridor. She glanced at me and mouthed run, but I couldn't I was frozen like a statue. Unable to move or think. When they were out of sight I heard a loud bang and the sound of my brothers painful screaming. That's when I knew I needed to run, run as far away from here as I possibly could. I stood up on my legs, which felt like jelly under me and ran out the door and up the drive. Before I could get out on the street I felt it the excruciating pain up my spine and I blacked out. That's all I remember from that night. The night that changed my life forever.