30

It's the next day, Regina has been up all night thinking. She knows she needs to talk to Emma, she can't carry on doing what she's doing. It's about 5 in the morning and she was desperate to talk to Emma. Regina lifted her husbands arm off her body and climbed out of bed, rapping a robe around her waist. She walked down the hall and into Emma's room, seeing her sleeping soundly. As she closed the door, Emma woke up with a confused look.

"Gina" she questioned, her eyes slowly starting to open.

"I'm sorry I woke you" Regina softly said, walking over to sit on the bed.

"Shit, did I over sleep" Emma asked, knowing it's Monday more and she had school.

"No, it's still early. I just really need to talk to you before the rest of the house is awake" Regina awkwardly replied, trying to avoid eye contact.

"You look like you haven't slept a wink, are you ok" Emma softly asked, sitting up and placing her hand on the back of the brunettes shoulder. Regina stayed quiet, just looking at her hands as she mentally prepared. Emma saw her tensed up, placing a soft kiss on the back of her neck to help relax her. "Tell me what's wrong"

"This, all of this... it has to stop" Regina softly replied, looking over her shoulder to see the blonde.

"What? What do you mean" Emma asked a little confused, moving to sit next to the brunette.

"Emma, we can't keep doing this. Feelings are getting involved and soon enough we're going to get hurt. There is no future... at least not a happy one" Regina sighed, knowing it's obvious but the student didn't want to say it.

"Regina"

"Emma"

"Don't do this, please. Gina, I love you" Emma said with a shocked look on her face, holding the brunettes hands to beg her.

"Exactly! You love me and that's too dangerous now. Em, we can't do this while we feel like this. You know I care about you but if we carry on, we are going to hurt a lot more than now" Regina explained, trying to hide how much this hurt her.

"Then pick me, love me, choose me" Emma said with a sad look upon her face, showing the passion she had to keep the brunette.

"Pick you? Emma, come on, be realistic. You know I'm married and you know I never planned on divorcing Howard. I tried, yesterday we tried but something Katie said made me realise why I'm still in the marriage. My feelings for you are so strong but I'm picking my kids, I'd always pick them" Regina replied with a sigh, looking away from the blondes sad face.

"I'm not asking you to pick between me and the kids, pick between me and the man that has hurt you for 8 years" Emma said, knowing it's a dead end but trying everything she can.

"It's complicated, you knew that from the start"

"I didn't think we'd get this far"

"But we did, we need to stop. I know you know that" Regina said with a soft but strict tone to her voice.

"I know, I just don't want to loose you" Emma softly said, her eyes showing the pain she tried to hold.

"I don't want to loose you either but it's what has to be done" Regina replied, finally looking up and into the green eyes showing pain.

Regina's eyes began to tear up, knowing she doesn't want this. Emma placed her hand on Regina's cheek and brushed her skin with her thumb. Both were trying not to cry or show pain but neither were successful. Emma leaned in and kissed Regina softly, a kiss both wasted no time to deepen. It was slow, full of passion that neither wanted to loose. Soon they knew to pull away, resting their heads upon each other's.

"Last kiss then" Emma questioned with disappointment, trying so hard to keep the rest of her tears in.

"Yeah, at least it was a good one" Regina replied, crying softly as she held her hands on the blondes cheeks. They stayed in silence, just holding each other, for a few minutes. Regina soon pulled away and stood up, brushing her clothes off as she did. "You are still welcome to stay as long as you need, don't feel you have to move out because of this"

"Thank you" Emma quietly said, looking at the ground to hide her pain. Regina gave a small smile as she turned away, walking to the door. As she opened it, Emma looked up to see her. "I love you" Emma softly whispered, causing the brunette to stop in her tracks.

Regina played those three words over and over in her head, not daring to turn back. She stepped out the room and closed the door, tears already falling out her eyes. Regina felt sick to her stomach, holding her hand over her mouth to stop her cries coming out. She began walking, still holding her cries, towards her bedroom. Regina prepared herself before going in, closing the door quietly. She climbed into bed which woke Howard up.

"Where you been" he asked a little confused, watching her lying down.

"Toilet" Regina replied with a shrug, cuddling closer to the man.

Howard held his wife closer to him and kissed her head softly, falling back to sleep. Regina just led there, eyes still wide open and she thought about what she just done. A single tear left her eye as she finally closed her them, forcing herself to go to sleep. An hour passed, her alarm went off at 6:30 like always.

"Turn it off" Howard mumbled, rolling over to face the other side.

Regina turned her alarm off as she got out of bed, going to the bathroom to rinse her face. She only slept 20 minutes, if that. She just looked in the mirror, seeing her eyes wanting to close again. Regina shrugged her feeling off and dragged her body out the bedroom, going to Drakes room.

"Good morning, Drake. Time to wake up" Regina said with a smile, pulling the curtains open to wake her son. Drake grumbled as he rolled over, hiding his face from the sun. "Come on, sweetie, get up"

"I'm up" Drake sighed, looking across at her with squinted eyes.

"Good, start getting dressed for school" Regina instructed, heading out his room. She went into Evie's room, heading towards the curtains. Regina stopped when she saw they were tapped shut, frowning at her daughters intelligence. "Nice try, Evie" Regina said with a laugh, yanking the curtains apart to open them.

"Ugh, mum! Don't do that, they were closed for a reason" Evie huffed, using the cover to hide her face from the light.

"And I opened them for a reason, time to get ready for school" Regina said, lifting the cover away from her middle child. Evie sighed dramatically as she knew she was defeated again, trying to figure out a knew way to stop her curtains being open. Regina left the room and went to her final child's room, Katie. She walked in the see the young girl playing with her teddy in bed. "Good morning, Katie"

"Morning, mummy" she beamed with a smile, leaping out of bed to run at her mother. Regina caught the young girl in her arms, lifting her up to hug her closer. "How did you sleep"

"I didn't get much sleep, what about you" Regina replied, knowing this is a morning routine with the young blonde.

"Good! Do you want me to sing you a song tonight so you can sleep good too" Katie asked with a smile, knowing being sung to helps her sleep.

"Then who will sing to you? It's ok but thank you for the offer" Regina replied, chuckling as she kissed her daughters head. "Now, let's get you ready so we can have breakfast"