Day 39-5: Cards Against Humanity

Beginne am Anfang

   "You truly are odd, Adel. Crying for someone you hardly know. Weeping so much for him, while here I can't muster a single tear."

   She clenches the fabric above her chest. Cast upon her profile is a smile—the first expression Leda's ever seen on her.

   "It seems... I've stopped feelings emotions like that a long time ago." Weld behind her words, fragile tone, and the sole tear that dribbles down her cheek, is nothing but melancholy. "The Land of Straeh we have so much pride in—is it truly worth not being able to mourn the death of my own brother?"

♥♦♣♠

   "So he escaped, huh?" Elevating the snake tied in so many knots around the central pillar in his bedroom, Avel emits a breath. "You're supposed to be my familiar, Zaire. What good if you can't handle a lowly Spade?"

   "M-mwaster!" is all the comes out of her mouth. Her head, too, is in yet another loop, making her yelling indecipherable.

   Avel interprets it anyway. "What do you mean he's not like the others? Isn't it pathetic making excuses for your loss?" He prods at her stomach. "Maybe it's because I've been feeding you too many corpses lately. You're getting fat."

   Zaire's shouting grows more profound, and much more indiscernible.

   "Your Highness, allow us to help you prepare for the ceremony," the tailor calls.

   Him, and the rest of his peers, have already gathered all the necessary materials, including the snow white suit that glows under the light of the room.

   Rising to his feet, Avel does as told, and allows the hairdressers to tend to his hair while the tailors measure his body. Zaire's hissing, and the commotion in the palace becomes a muddled buzz in his ears. The sight unveiled beyond his grand window seizes all his attention. Thousands upon thousands crowd the palace. The paleness of Straeh is nowhere to be found. Flowers, magic, decorations, ornaments, gifts—colours and smiles of all kinds, surround him.

   The platitudes they shout loft as well.

   "Congratulations, Your Highness!"

   "You're finally to rule Straeh as our beloved king!"

   "The day you've worked so hard toward—your dream, and sole reason for your birth—is finally here! What a gracious day!"

   Gracious?

   It was nowhere close to the word he'd used to describe this day.

   Leda is his mother's possession. She's been reduced to another head on her grotesque wall.

   Avel's eyes glaze the portrait hung at the centre of his room. His mother and him, smiling. His father was once apart of it too, beaming as sillily as them, but from the moment he passed, she had it adjusted.

   Get rid of the unnecessary. Disestablish all attachment to the weak. It was nothing uncommon. Since Leda is gone, since Remi is gone, he'll have to adjust. Find something new to entertain him.

   Just like always.

   "Father! Teach me, teach me!"

   "You wish to learn, huh? Are you sure you have what it takes?"

   "I have everything I need right here! My lab coat. My backpack filled with all the necessary equipment. Some potions and medicines. Oh, and, and—"

   A hand, ruffling his hair. A laugh so gentle and soft it caused him to grin all the same.

   "You'll become a fine quack one day. Someone who will bring comfort to people just by being by their side. You'll save so many lives, Avelious. I know it."