Day 49: BS

DAY 49: BS

          As soon as they exit the vicinity of Reca, the rest of the Land of Edaps is like a slap in the face.

It's almost as if they've stepped through another one of Orian's portals. The trees are alive. In the valley below there are gorgeous streams and bodies of water. The quiet is welcoming.

          There's such an abundance of breathtaking beauty—serenity—that Leda can't recognize it as the same kingdom belonging to Reca.

But there's one thing that stands out from everything, that even Orian can depict.

There's nothing edible. In the lakes, there isn't sign of a single fish. Amongst the scattered trees there aren't any animals, squeaking critters—bugs.

        "This is extremely odd," Orian murmurs.

         "Very," Leda agrees, eyeing her reflection in the water below.

She peers upwards at the falling water cascading down the waterfall to its origins. Hailed at very top of the hill is a large scuffed statue of a woman; her hands by her cheeks, incessant gushes of water pouring out from her eyelids and into the creek. Almost as if it's indicating she's crying.

Nonetheless, Leda's body weighs a ton as she picks herself from the ground. Ignoring the dust that'd accumulated on her clothing, she stares forward, past Orian and onto the vast greenery waiting for them to cross.

           "How long until we reach Depree?"

          Orian glances at the map Annika was glad to bestow. It's ragged and old, but it's recent enough to follow.

          "We should be there by sundown," he responds.

          A sigh slips from Leda's mouth as she stretches. She caves over, curling her arms over my rumbling stomach. One would think, being in a fantastical land with such abundant beauty she wouldn't have to worry about starving herself, yet here she is.

        There isn't a single thing that's changed from where she grew up...

         "Master Leda, are you all right?" Orian worriedly asks. "It's because I gave away all of the meat, isn't it?"

         She subconsciously chews on her lower lip and and feigns a smile. "I'm fine, Orian. Let's hurry."

         She slips by him before he can refute, dragging her sluggish legs forward. They're heavy, and her calves are burning but she does her all to ignore her exhaustion. Orian, on the other hand, surprisingly doesn't appear burnt out in the least, and catches up with ease.

Her eyes fall upon his head and jerking ears, then down to his tail.

         "Is everyone in the Land of Dia really half-animal?"

          Orian flinches at the unexpected question.

          "And can you all do that whole portal thing? Or are you the only one who can use magic? Adi didn't seem to know anything about the stuff."

           Orian remains silent for a good moment, his features shifting to one of contemplation. "'Magic' exists all around Annadia. There are various kinds of spells as there are the various kinds of people. And when it concerns the four suit kingdoms in particular, each kingdom is subjected to their own spells and incantations."

Leda finds her eyebrows scrunching.

He continues, "Just as the Land of Dia consists of halves like Master Rhett and I, the abilities we are able to master relies heavily on our physical capabilities and our ancestral lineage."