01. Checking Me Out?

The entire teenage population of the Outer Banks was at the Boneyard. Another party where it seemed the three social classes came together to have fun but they were still pretty separated. The Pogues were by the keg, JJ and John B were passing around red solo cups, Pope talking to a girl, and Kie nearby JJ and John B talking to a group of Tourons
"Hey, man go get us some more beer," Topper told Carter, another Kook. In all honesty, Sarah didn't understand why Top would even want to come to another Boneyard party after what happened at the last one. Who's to say that JJ and his friends don't have a gun on them right now? The entire Pogues vs. Kook thing was incredibly stupid.
"Hey, get your dirty hands off of me!"
Sarah immediately recognized the voice as Kiara, her old best friend. She looked over towards where she had seen her earlier to see her pushing Carter away from her.
"What the fuck is Kiara's problem," Kelce said.
"Just leave them be, Carter had it coming," Topper replied, "and who knows if those dirty Pogues brought a gun again."
"Hey, relax ok Top," Sarah said and pushed his cheek to look at me.
Sarah looked over to where Carter was. The rest of Kie's crew had gathered now. JJ was shouting at Carter while Pope held him back from attacking him. Meanwhile John B was behind all of them holding Kiara whispering to her. That's the thing that's confusing to Sarah. From the dynamic of the group, any one could tell that JJ had a thing for Kie, but it seemed all the other boys were just as protective over her. John B was never like that with anyone else. His cold hard exterior never broke for Sarah.

The next day Sarah was sitting by the pool sunbathing. The bluthering of that old boat that John B drove suddenly broke through the peaceful silence. Sarah raised her sunglasses and rested them on top of her head to get a better view at what he was doing at her house on a Sunday afternoon. John B was shirtless, per usual, shorts hung low on his hips, a backwards cap, and usual bandana wrapped around his neck. He docked the little boat next to the My Druthers them ducked out of Sarah's view, seemingly searching for something. When he stood back up, he was putting a button up shirt on which Sarah would never admit, but she was slightly disappointed. There was no doubting that Pogue boys were a sight for sore eyes. John B hopped off the boat and strolled towards the house, nearing the pool. That's when he caught sight of her.
"Checking me out?" He called.
"You wish," Sarah remarked. "What are you doing here on a Sunday?" He stopped, hands resting on his hips.
"Ward asked me to come talk to him," John B said as he kicked around some dirt at his feet.
"About?"
"Work around the house he needs done."
"Oh great so you're gonna be around here more than usual huh?" She said sarcastically.
"Aw, Princess, how sad," he mocked. Sarah disregarded him.
"Hey, so how is Kie doing, after Carter, you know?" Despite contrary belief, Sarah actually really missed Kiara and she wondered how she was doing more than she'd like to admit. Sarah noticed John B visibly tense at this.
"She's fine," He said shortly, "You know you should stop hanging out with perverted assholes like him."
"Not my fault that Topper is friends with a douche." She defended herself.
"Toppers a douche too." He grunted before turning and walking into the house before she could respond.

Over the next couple weeks Sarah saw John B around the house, working on the yard or on the boat, but they didn't talk until a Friday when he had just finished working on the yard. It was around 5:30pm when Sarah saw John B sitting under a tree near the dock. She got a water bottle out of the fridge and began walking out the door towards John B. Despite the whole situation of him being a Pogue and her a Kook, Sarah felt inclined to talk to John B. Their last interaction had been pretty civilized and with him being around so much, she might as well get to know him a little right? Plus he looked thirsty.
"You thirsty?" She asked once she reached him, hand outstretched with the water bottle. John B looked up at her, then at the water bottle before slowly accepting it and drinking a large gulp of water. "I'll take that as a yes.." Sarah said as she sat down.
"Thanks."
"So what are you doing out here?" Sarah asked, trying to break the silence. John B laid on his back now, head rested on top of his hands.
"Well. Pope took the Twinkie," Sarah gave a confused look. "Our van," John B turned to her and said, sensing her confusion. Sarah realized what he was referring to now. The old runned down van with about a hundred stickers on it that the Pogues always drove around in.
"Yeah Pope took the Twinkie to go to some interview for school or something," He continued, "And Kie and JJ are on the HMS Pogue, the boat," he said before Sarah could ask any questions, "so I'm just waiting for one or all of them to come pick me up." He shrugged.
"You guys share everything?" She asked, peering over at him. He had his eyes closed.
"I mean we don't have as many toys as you, princess, we gotta share." Sarah snorted.
"Kie has her own car does she not." She retorted.
"It's getting work done. Speaking of Kie, what's up with you two? She refuses to tell anyone why you two hate each other so much."
Sarah sighed, "Long story."
"Will I be hearing it one day?" He asked. Sarah peered at him again. He was grinning now, which made her smile. Before she made a sarcastic remark a spurt of water shot was shot right onto John B's face.
"All aboard the HMS Pogue!" Sarah turned to see JJ shouting, a water gun in hand and aimed at John B. JJ, Kie, and Pope, were all aboard the Pogue boat which was floating near the Cameron dock. John B got up suddenly and raised his hand to head in a salute.
"Sir yes sir," he said, only to get shot by JJ's water gun again.
"Hey!" John B shouted.
"Would you two idiots cut it out and get on the damn boat," Kiara said in mock annoyance, a smile on her face, that was until her eyes landed on Sarah Cameron. Kiara's smile turned into a blank face. "What're you doing hanging out with her?" She directed towards JB in disgust.
"Nunya business," John B replied then turned to Sarah, "Thank you for the water Miss Cameron," he said before bowing and running to hop into the boat where JJ began squirting him with the water gun and Pope handed him a beer.
Sarah watched as the Pope started up the boat again and it began sputtering away until John B turned around to face her, grin on his face, and waved.