The Boy, The Alien, and The Chessboard

The boy laughed, “A trip to the Triangulum Galaxy sounds great, but I only have a driver’s permit, and I don’t see a spaceship.”

The pale stranger across the Chessboard shaded his eyes from the Sun’s glare, then captured the boy’s Bishop with his Queen, “No spaceship required; we need only unlock a portal.”

The boy captured the Queen with his Pawn, “You sure you’ve played before? Or is the idea on your planet to sacrifice as many pieces possible?”

The man moved his Rook to the center, “It’s an ancient game with various objectives.”

“This portal’s here in New York?” the boy smirked, again seeing his next, too obvious, move.

“It can be.”

“My mom warned me about playing against the Chess Wackos in Central Park.  Don’t expect me to follow you searching for this magic portal.”

“I wasn’t expecting you to follow me anywhere.” The man smiled, adding, “It’s your move.”

“Checkmate!” The boy announced, but just as he replaced the captured Rook with his Knight, a blinding flash erupted from the board’s center.

Slowly the boy’s vision returned and he gazed out, beyond his opponent and crimson-sand mountains, toward three luminous moons hanging in an indigo sky.