"I'm currently looking for proposals for you," Queen Astoria said. "We'll be introducing you to a bunch of princesses. Princesses, who will temporarily live with us until you pick one to marry. And I expect you to pick one by your twenty-first birthday."

     "I won't choose one," Flynn said. "You can introduce me to hundreds of princesses, force me to spend time with them, but I will never choose one. And you can't force me to marry anyone."

     "Stoping being such a brat," King Orion snapped. "We gave you everything. We gave you this perfect life. All we ask of you is to get married. Stop acting as if we're sending you to prison."

     "Marrying someone I don't love will feel like prison!"

     "Then fall in love and choose someone," Queen Astoria said.

     I stepped back, feeling like I was intruding on a personal conversation. The tension was high in the room. Flynn looked like he'd burst at any moment and the King and Queen looked ready to throw him out.

     "You guys will never listen to me," Flynn said, whirling around. "I know you'll make me choose, but I'll do everything in my power to stay strong. Because for once, I'm going to do what makes me happy."

     The King and Queen opened their mouth to argue, but Flynn stormed off. He slammed the door shut and I winced, feeling my heart sink. Despite everything that happened between us, my heart went out for Flynn. He was trapped, like he told me when we were children. Despite being a Prince and having so much power, Flynn was helpless when it came to love. And with the princesses coming to live here soon, I wondered what the next few months would look like.

*****

     Flynn was laying in bed. He was in black pants and white button up shirt, and I tried my best not to look at his chest that was exposed by the few buttons that were undone. Bringing the tray of sandwiches and tea over to his bed, I placed them on his night table and straightened up. But before I could walk away, Flynn said my name.

     "Wait," Flynn said. "Just for a moment. I need someone to listen to me."

     Straightening up, I turned to look at Flynn. I flattened out my blue dress, growing nervous as Flynn stared at me, his eyes full of worry and pain. Even when Flynn and I were friends, I'd never seen him like that.

     "About?" I asked.

     "I don't want to get married now," Flynn blurted out. "I'm too young to get married! And I know the princesses they'll bring to the castle. None of them interest me. None of them... I just can't get married. I'm not ready!"

     Flynn sat up and ran his fingers through his messy hair. He was tense, his body rising and falling as he breathed heavily. I stared at him, unsure of what to say. After he pushed me away, there was a distance between us I couldn't cross. So even now, I didn't know how I could console him.

     "Your parents can't force you to do anything," I said, unsure of what else I could say. "If you say no, they have to listen."

     "I know I'm an adult and can say no, but it's hard to disappoint my parents," Flynn said. "They gave me everything. They gave me such a wonderful life and I don't want to be a bad king and disappoint them. I don't know what to do."

     Flynn put his head in his hands and I had to clasp my hands together to resist reaching out to him. I so badly wanted to run my fingers through hair, to rub his back and soothe him, and whisper how he could never be a bad king. But remembering the way he threw me away, I stood there, conflicted on how to help him.

     "Your happiness should always come first," I said. "You shouldn't be worrying about what other people think. At the end of the day, this is your life. You should be doing what makes you happy, even if that makes you feel selfish."

      "I know, Helena," Flynn said. "I wish I could just be selfish and forget about what my parents want, but I can't. I don't know what to do."

     "Follow your heart, Flynn."

     Flynn pulled his head out of his hands to look at me. His yes were full of pain, but he gave me a small smile that left my heart skipping a beat. My eyes darted away, hating how after all this time, Flynn still had the ability to make my heart move.

     "Thank you for your kind words, Helena," Flynn said. "You've always been gentle."

     I blushed at Flynn's words, unable to help it. Flynn was smiling now and his eyes were gentle, and I had to step back. Afraid of my feelings and of the way Flynn looked at me, I moved away and Flynn frowned.

     "No problem," I said. "Well, I have to attend to my other duties. I'll see you later, your highness."

     I rushed off, ignoring the confusion on Flynn's face. And as I ran away, I felt my heart pound against my chest. As I thought about the way Flynn looked at me, at the smile he wore, I teared up. Because a year ago, he broke my heart. He threw me away and made me feel worthless, and there was no way I could forgive him. No way when I would never let myself break the way I did a year ago.