The 4th Of July

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* Chapter Eight *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Patriotic music was blaring outside of Jackie's house as she was reading quietly in her bed.  Her lamp was on, illuminating just enough light for her to see the words.  She had her reading glasses on, only Bertram knowing that she wears them to make him feel better about the day he found out that he needed glasses.  It was the 4th of July, the day being spent just sitting home and doing nothing.  Because of the holiday, the group didn't play baseball that day.  Mostly, the reasons were because family would visit some of the boys.  Benny wasn't fond of the idea.

It was already dark outside, around 8:00 PM.  Jackie enjoyed the music playing outside her window, creating background noise as she read.  Her peaceful moment was briefly interrupted when a frantic knock was heard from the window beside her, startling her.  She quickly hopped off her bed and scurried to her window, seeing Benny.  Her room was on the second story, meaning Benny had to climb her house to reach her window.  He wasn't wearing his hat, a baseball glove in his hand.  She ran to her door and locked it in case her parents tried to come in.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Jackie exclaimed, pulling her window open only halfway. 

"Hurry up, we gotta go." Benny grabbed her hand in an attempt to pull her out of the window with him. 

"I can't leave, it's too late.  Where are you going, anyway?" Jackie pulled her hand away. 

"Just grab your glove- wait, you're wearing glasses.  Why?" Benny questioned, puzzled.  Jackie forgot she was wearing them and snatched them off her face.  She thought she looked nerdy with her glasses on, so she didn't tell anyone about them, other than Bertram.

"They're just my reading glasses.  Anyway, I can't go.  If I get caught, I'll be in trouble." Jackie dismissed the glasses, changing the subject back to leaving the room.

"Oh, come on.  You said it yourself last night, you do illegal things all the time!" Benny exclaimed a little too loudly, causing Jackie to hold her hand up to his mouth to quiet him down.

"That was a joke.  You thought I was serious?" Jackie scoffed, not caring that she was in her pajamas, and ushered Benny out of the way and climbed out her window.  "I can't believe you're making me do this." She sighed, looking up at her now opened window.  Benny helped her to the ground and he made a beeline towards the house next door, which was Scotty's.

"Live a little.  Let's go, we need to get Scotty." Benny didn't look back to Jackie as he ran on Scotty's driveway.  With little energy, Jackie followed.  Benny knocked on Scotty's door as Jackie caught up with him.  Scotty was the one to walk up to the front door, not even having time to reach the door handle before Benny spoke up frantically.

"Let's go.  Come on!  Get your glove on and come on." Benny told the poor boy who was clueless.

"What's the big deal?" Scotty asked worriedly, spotting Jackie behind Benny.