The Great Bambino

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* Chapter Three *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Jackie waited patiently in Scotty's backyard after he told her that he was gonna go get his dad to practice with them.  He seemed to really want to bond with his father, and Jackie respected that.  She felt as if she might have been intruding on their father-son bonding time, but when she offered to leave, he told her to stay.

"Alright, Scotty, go down to that end of the yard." Scotty's dad said as he opened the back door.   Jackie stood up from sitting in the grass and brushed the dirt off her jeans. 

"Okay," Scotty responded to his dad, walking over to where Jackie was.  The father watched the girl that was standing in his yard.  "Dad, this is my friend, Jackie.  She lives next door.  She offered to help me learn baseball." Scotty explained, motioning to the girl next to him.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Smalls." Jackie waved, being too far away to properly shake his hand.  Scotty's dad smiled slightly, awkwardly waving back.

"You too, sweetheart.  Now, the key to this game is keeping your eye on the ball.  No matter whether you're in the field or at bat, eye on the ball, okay?" Scotty's dad explained, walking to the other side of the yard.  Jackie inched behind Scotty, in case he missed the ball she could catch it.

"Alright.  Uh, yeah.  I think so." Scotty stuttered, smacking his glove nervously.  Jackie noticed that he had a habit of doing that when he was nervous.  He wanted to make a good impression in front of his dad that he looked up to, and Jackie wanted him to be successful.

"Okay, where the ball goes, that's where your glove should go.  Got it?" Scotty's dad continued, putting his glove on.  Scotty nodded, fixing his head that Jackie was willing to rip off his head.  Scotty's dad pitched the ball, expecting Scotty to catch it.  Scotty ended up dodging it, afraid it was gonna hit I'm in the face.  His glove was still raised though.  Since it went past him, Jackie ended up catching it.

"Darn.  Sorry." Scotty apologized to his dad, holding his hand out for Jackie to hand him the ball.

"Don't try to dodge the ball, the point is to catch it," Jackie instructed, handing him the ball.  He nodded quickly and ran stood back in the same spot he was in earlier.  His dad looked slightly disappointed.  He looked like he didn't even wanna be there, which made Jackie feel bad for him.  He held the glove up, waiting for Scotty to throw him the ball.

"Toss the ball to him," Jackie said encouragingly.  He instead ran up to his dad and handed him the ball, placing it in his dad's glove.

"Um-uh, here." Scotty ran back to Jackie, bumping her shoulder slightly by accident.  Jackie mentally facepalmed, feeling embarrassed for him.  Scotty's dad also seemed surprised with Scotty's actions, gaping at his son.  He sighed, before asking if Scotty was ready.

"Eye on the ball, okay?  Got it?" Scotty's dad asked after Scotty said he was ready.  He nodded eagerly, smacking his glove nervously.  Jackie assumed he was gonna miss again, so she stood in position to catch it in case it passed him again.  "Okay, if the ball moves, move your glove.  Got it?" He continued to explain, expecting Scotty to catch it this time.  "Here we go." He said and tossed the ball.  Scotty attempted to catch it this time but missed.  Once again Jackie caught it.