Chapter 2

Miss Griffin and our current principal, Mr. Derick appear in front of me, Elaine, and all the other chatty band kids. I immediately avert my eyes to Miss Griffin and stare in awe. I'm so frustrated. Who gave her the right to be this damn gorgeous? I do not approve. Ugh. No. This isn't me. I can't have a crush on a girl....I'm straight.  Am I? I'm not sure. My thoughts are interrupted.  Principal Derick raises a shaky old hand to quiet all of us.

"As you guys may have already noticed, you have a new music teacher. Before you is Miss Griffin!" His very quiet yet booming voice filled the echoey band hall. Everyone applauds Miss Griffin to the front of the room. She finally speaks....

"Hey guys! I'm Miss Emily Griffin! Please call me Miss Griffin! I'm your new music teacher and I'm so excited to meet each and every one of you!" She says as she looks directly into my wandering eyes, proceeding to blush and bite her lip.

"I'm here to teach you and take your passion as an instrumentalist to another level. I will push you even harder than your previous teacher and make sure you play to your best ability. I'm looking forward to seeing you each and every day. Let's have a great year!" She says occasionally taking her eyes off me but then looking at me again. Or at least...I think she was looking at me? Agh her voice sounds so....so.....angelic! I can only think of what it would sound like if she were to say my name. No! This is wrong. We literally just met this chick...

The room fills with even more applause than before. Even some of the class clowns cheered. She took a tiny little bow. I swear that was the cutest thing I've ever seen. Once the applause dies down, Miss Griffin instructs us to grab our instruments and take our seats. This first period of the day is jazz band. I don't play in this period though, jazz just isn't my style. So I look around for an extra seat. The only chair I see just so happens to be right next to her. Damn it. I'm so awkward so I just decide to stand alone and stare at my phone like I'm actually productive.

"Hey Karson! There's a seat right here next to me. I don't bite." Miss Griffin says with the sweetest grin. She points to a chair right next to the conductor's podium. I try to play it cool as she continues to stare at me until I decide to sit next to her. Wait I just realized....How does she know my name? Fuck that just made me feel ten times more panicky. I guess she could tell because as the band was warming up, I feel her warm presence behind me.

"Karson. Would you mind showing me how to operate the metronome. Calm down, doll. You're shaking." Miss Griffin whispers into my ear. It sends shivers down my spine. That was so hot....

"Oh y-yea sure! You just turn the dial to the right the faster you'd like the tempo and this button selects which note pattern you'd like to use. quarters, eighths, sixteenths, whichever one you need." I say. Somehow, I managed to say that whole thing without being scared. I'm proud of myself haha.

"Thanks, Doll." She says winking with a smile. Her smile is just so sweet. She seems so innocent and harmless. I can only imagine what she thinks of me since she already knows my name. Oh well, I don't want to think about it too much. Hah.

I sit back down and search for my book in my backpack. I've just recently decided to reread the Harry Potter series and am about to finish the first book. The more and more I read, the more I tune out the jazz band.

Before I know it, the bell rings. It's time for second period. I take a quick glance at my schedule and see that my next class is history which is all the way on the other side of the school from the band hall. Great. So this means I have to walk faster which is pretty painful considering I have very short legs(I'm what....5'3"?). I don't make it too far out of the door before Miss Griffin stops me.

"Hey Karson. Sorry to bother you again but I just wanted to make sure you're okay. I could tell you were panicking a lot from the minute you walked in. Please let me know if you need help with anything."She says with the most serious face. Gosh...her eyes are just so beautiful, I could stare into them for ages. I could tell she was genuinely concerned, which really made my heart melt. Lord knows if I told her why I was panicking, I'd be so embarrassed. I don't think it would be a good idea to tell her. It's not like I want to anyways.

"I..uh...yea I'm fine! Just a little rushed this morning." I say in a quick tone. I don't want to be late.

"Okay, well, I'm always here....doll" She looks me up and down and goes slightly red. I kind of smirk and she walks into her new office, shutting the door behind her.

Doll?!?! Why doll? Why do I like it? Does she call everyone doll? I hope not. I mean....uh....no I don't hahaha. Sike. You thought. Yeet. Ahhh I'm such a weirdo. I guess I have something to think about in my next class...