The Great Bambino

Start from the beginning

"You have a black eye!" Jackie exclaimed, not thinking his injury would be that severe.  Scotty just nodded, trying his hardest not to cry.  Jackie realized that it probably wasn't a good idea to bring it up.  From afar, she saw Benny approaching her house, probably to make sure she wasn't late again.  "I'll be right back." She told Scotty, standing up and jogging over to Benny.

"Hey, you're not mad at me about yesterday right?  I didn't want to bother you in case you were." Benny slowed down when Jackie caught up to him.  He wasn't wearing his hat at the moment, Jackie getting to see his hair which doesn't happen often.

"No, not you.  Sorry if it looked like I was.  I tried to teach Scotty how to play this morning, I ended up giving him a black eye." Jackie cringed, looking back to see Scotty crying on his steps. Jackie could tell that Benny felt bad for the boy.

"He can come with us, I'll teach him this time." Benny nodded walking over to where Scotty was sitting.  "Hey.  We're gonna go play some ball.  We need an extra guy.  You wanna go?" Benny offered politely, Jackie following behind him.  Jackie thought it was nice of Benny to talk to Scotty, considering everyone else thought he was weird.

"No.  Thanks." Scotty shook his head, keeping his head low.  Jackie assumed he was gonna say no.  Why would he say yes after what he had just gone through?

"Why not?  Don't you like baseball?" Benny questioned, holding his bat.  Jackie didn't want to pressure Scotty, but she wanted him to make friends.  Well, she was his friend, but more than just her, and boys instead of one girl.

"Oh, yeah, but, uh..." Scotty tried to think of something to say, keeping his head down so Benny couldn't see his eye.  It didn't matter anyway, she already told him.

"But what?" Benny tested, knowing that Scotty didn't have an actual excuse.  Jackie stood behind Benny, playing with her hair that was in a high ponytail. 

"But my glove, it's busted." Scotty stood up, finally looking at Benny.  He pleaded in his mind that Jackie wouldn't tell Benny the truth.  Jackie pinched Benny's arm to let him know that he was lying.  Benny rolled his eyes at Scotty, Jackie didn't even have to hint that he was lying, it was pretty obvious.  "Uh, see, no, I can't go.  Thanks, though." Scotty said.

"It's okay. I got an extra one." Benny pulled a glove out of his pocket, tossing it to Scotty, who shockingly caught it.  The glove was in way better condition than his, he couldn't wait to get rid of his old one.

"Any more excuses?" Jackie tilted her head, placing her hands behind her back.  Benny smirked at the girl standing behind him, the smile lingering on his face.

"Come on.  Let's go." Benny said after Scotty shook his no at Jackie's question.  Scotty opened his front door and poked his head inside.  Benny and Jackie watched with curiosity.

"Mom, I'm gonna go play some ball!  I'll be back in a little while." Scotty shouted loud enough for his mom to hear, closing the front door and walking down his steps.

"Let's get moving." Jackie smiled, gently pushing Scotty's back to follow Benny who was already a few feet ahead of them.  She was happy that Benny convinced him to tag along, one of the reasons she liked Benny was that he made sure to include everyone.

"I'm the Great Bambino." A muffled voice said as the three rounded the corner.  It turned out to be Ham, a cigar in his mouth.  He wore Jackie's Yankee hat that she allowed him to borrow.

"What?" The boys all asked, not understanding what Ham said.  Scotty nudged Benny with a confused look, Benny just shook his head.

"I'm the Great Bambino." Ham took the cigar out of his mouth.