Voldemort's Return

Start from the beginning

She looked up at the sound of Dumbledore's voice. "Sarah Spellman," he said, clapping his hands together with a smile that didn't meet his eyes. He'd just emerged around a corner, and judging from his slumped shoulders and droopy eyelids, he hadn't had an minute of sleep since the incident. "It has been some time."

"Professor, I wonder if I could have a quick word."

"But of course," he said, placing an arm around her shoulder and guiding her to the spiral staircase. "Pepper Imps," he stated, and the staircase rose, carrying them up to his office.

"Sorry to keep you waiting," said Dumbledore. "I was just visiting with Harry. He's been through quite the ordeal."

"How is he?"

"Shaken, of course, but determined and courageous as usual." He smiled. "Like you, he's a true Gryffindor."

"Is it really true, sir? You-Know-Who is back?"

Dumbledore nodded gravely. "I'm afraid so. Harry saw him himself. There are dark times ahead."

"So, what will we do?" she asked. "How do we stop him?"

At this, Dumbledore actually chuckled. "I should have realized you'd be one of the first to rise to the occasion." He beckoned her to come closer and spoke so quietly she had to strain her ears to catch the words. "The last time Voldemort was in power, I founded an organization dedicated to the resistance of his movement. I believe it is time to reform the Order of the Phoenix."

"Alright, I want in."

"This won't be easy, Sarah. You'll be putting yourself at great personal risk--"

Sarah smiled. "When have you ever been able to dissuade me from risking my life, Professor?"

"Very well," said Dumbledore. "Do you know of The Burrow?"

"Sure, that's Bill's family home."

"Excellent. Apparate there, and wait for my instructions. Tell no one else of your plans."

"Of course, sir. I'll just go and get Barnaby."

She turned to leave, but spun back at Dumbledore's sad call. "Sarah, I'm afraid 'no one' includes Mr. Lee."

"What?"

"You know as well as I his family history--" Dumbledore began.

"Barnaby's no Death Eater," she said firmly.

"Of course not. But the Death Eater's have already begun recruiting. The Lee family have supported anti-muggle sentiment since the middle ages. They'll come looking for him."

"Barnaby would never--"

"You misunderstand," said Dumbledore. "It's Barnaby's safety I'm concerned for, as well as yours. If they find him and he refuses to join, they will kill him. Or more likely, they'll use his connection to you to gather information on the Order. I don't mean he'd give them answers willingly," he said, holding up a hand to stop her from interrupting, "but as a Legilimens, surely you've noticed that Barnaby is particularly susceptible to interference in the mind."

Sarah said nothing, because she knew Dumbledore was right. When she'd first begun honing her gift of legilimency, Barnaby had offered to let her practice on him. It had been surprisingly easy to break into his mind. She'd seen the memories of his parents' cruelty as clearly as if she'd been there. Even now, though she promised herself never to invade his mind on purpose, there were times that he was focusing so hard on something that she couldn't help but get an idea of his thoughts.

"For now, the less he knows, the better," said Dumbledore. "I understand this puts you in a difficult place. I leave the decision up to you."

"Thank you, Sir," she said. She felt as if she was swimming in someone's else's thoughts now; her own brain appeared to have been shut off. Her feet took over, and soon they carried her out of the castle and back to the village, though she couldn't recall the journey.

Voldemort's followers had taken so much away from her. Her brother, Cedric, Rowan. She owed it to them to put a stop to the Death Eaters, before the world was tossed into darkness yet again.

But if doing so meant giving up Barnaby, how could she do it? He'd been at her side since their third year, her best friend and strongest comfort. They'd been through so much together, helped each other through dark times and found joy in each other when there should have been no joy left in the world. She couldn't imagine life without him.

But, she knew herself, just as Dumbledore did. It was in her nature to stick her neck out, to take on the next challenge and fight the next evil no matter the cost. If Voldemort rose to full power once more, the cost would never be higher.