Chapter 3

It had been almost a week since Steve had gotten the results back. He noticed that Billy wasn't giving him a hard time anymore. Even offered to help him in the one class they shared together, which was English.

Steve obviously still thought it was all some prank he was pulling. He ignored Billy as much as he could and turned down all his offers to help. The teen wasn't going to fall for this. He wasn't stupid. He knew Billy. And Billy was a jerk.

———

The weekend was soon here and to get his mind off of everything, Steve invited the kids over so they could play D&D.
The group happily agreed to come over, wanting to go to a place where they could be as loud as they wanted with no parents to yell at them.

The first to arrive had been Dustin. Of course he was the first. He always was. He wanted to get away from his mom and just like to hang out with Steve.
Next to arrive was Mike and Lucas, who rode their bikes over together.
Next was Will, who had Jonathan drop him off. He saw Nancy in the passenger seat and only offered them both a small wave.
Finally Max showed up with El. They both were already hanging out and Hop drove them over, secretly thanking Steve for taking them off his hands.
So that's how the night started off. Calm and easy with all the kids playing their silly game in his living room.

Steve was sitting in the loveseat by himself watching the small group. He actually ended up falling asleep, listening to them all yelling and laughing.

———

Something was after him... something big and dark and scary... chasing him. He just kept running, not looking back. Where was everyone? Were they safe?
He was sure they were... he told them to run, didn't he?

He was in a forest... at least he thought he was... it was too dark. And there was so much noise. There was a loud crack- was that a twig? He was pretty sure he stepped on a twig...

There was growling... lots of it. Something else was running after him... he just kept running.. and running and-

BOOM BOOM BOOM

Steve was startled awake, sitting up in the chair and looking around. He was breathing heavily, a hand over his heart. He tried to speak when he noticed the kids staring at him.

"Steve... Steve was wrong? Were we being too loud...?" Dustin asked the older male.
Steve couldn't answer. Something started happening and before he knew it, he was crying.

"Oh shit- Steve! Steve what's the matter?" Lucas asked and everyone started to crowd Steve.
This only made him cry harder and soon he was whimpering out, "D-Daddy- Want daddy!"
Steve had curled in on himself and the kids didn't know what to do.

"What is he talking about?" Lucas asked.
"Oh shit- he's a little.. like Jonathan..." Will realized.
"Then who is his caregiver!?" Mike said
"Billy..." Max muttered.
"B-billy! Wan Billy!" The cries got louder.

"Don't worry Steve, I'll call Billy. He'll keep you safe," Max said and ran to the phone and dialed her home phone, hoping to reach Billy...

———

Billy was there in a matter of minutes, bursting in through the front door. He looked over and saw Steve still curled up and sobbing in his seat. "Oh Stevie..." Billy said softly as he went over.
Steve glanced up and, when he saw Billy, almost immediately reached out for him, sobbing even more.
"Hey there big guy... what's wrong?" Billy asked softly as he went and lifted Steve into his arms.
One was under his backside as the held his back.
"N-nightmare... scary..." Steve sniffled as he nuzzled Billy's shoulder and wrapped his arms around his neck.

Billy frown and glanced to the kids, who all had concern on their faces. "He's okay... this will happen from time to time.." Billy told them as he sat on the couch and set Steve in his lap, "you brats keep playing."
The group nodded and did as told, sitting back around the table and slowly getting back into the game.

———

Billy started to do his best to try and calm Steve. He started off with with running his hands through Steve's hair. The boy had not been lying on the test, because Steve's sobs slowly stopped.
Steve sat up in Billy's lap and rubbed at his eyes. "Daddy..." he said softly, sniffling softly. "Yeah baby boy... I'm here. Don't worry," he told him calmly, "I'll keep you safe."

Steve seemed very happy with that reply and he started smiling. Billy chuckled and held onto his hips. He started bouncing Steve on his knees, which made the little start giggling sweetly. He was making embarrassing noises he would never make in front of anyone.

"Again! Again!" Steve laughed as Billy continued. Whatever nightmare Steve had was now only a distant memory. All he wanted to do now was sit with Billy and snuggle up to him, being as affectionate as possible.

Maybe this was a good sign for Billy... Max told him that Steve had been begging for him. He didn't want anyone else. Maybe Steve would work his way up to excepting him...

———

Steve had ended up falling asleep on Billy, snuggled up on his lap. Billy was rubbing his back as he watched the kids play their game. He wanted the kids to be more quiet- they were being very loud and Steve would whine when they got too loud.

"Shut it, brats- You'll wake him up," Billy snapped as he play with Steve's hair to help him relax.
"Sorry Billy..." Will said sheepishly
"We're in the middle of a campaign man!" Mike groaned.
"Can't you just take him to his room or something...?" Max asked.

And that was a pretty good idea... so Billy nodded and carefully stood, making sure to hold Steve up in his arms.
He went up stairs and made his way to Steve's bedroom