Chapter 20: Fated Encounters

Start from the beginning

Sudden tension was forming on Joy's shoulders and face. She obviously can't tell SoHyun that she purposely travelled several miles just to bust whatever was going on with Sungjae and her, right?

"I, um... won a baking competition. So I... um, just wanted to treat myself a bit" Joy tried to explain. That seems believable anyways, says her brain.

SoHyun's facial features suddenly brightened and her aura became softer. "Omo! I heard about that. Sungjae Oppa and I was just talking about that the other day when we were strolling at the park. Congrats, Joy!" she reached out for Joy's hand and gave it a squeeze.

Taken aback by the sudden affection, Joy unconsciously pulled her hand away. Well, she just confirmed that Sungjae and SoHyun are indeed together all these times... how could her brain process that within the moment while trying to act civil in front of the very woman chosen by Sungjae's heart?

SoHyun noticed Joy's apprehension and politely lowered her head. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Joy... I know we didn't start off well... and I'm deeply sorry for my behavior before" she paused momentarily and looked at Joy, trying to assess if she should continue such sensitive conversation.

Joy didn't react much and so SoHyun decided to continue. "I have to admit that I hated you. I didn't get why you had all the attention I used to have. I was clouded by the thought that you were the problem when in fact it was me. I wanted Sungjae's attention because I needed to feel secure" she paused again. Joy noticed that tears were starting to pool in the corners of SoHyun's eyes.

"I was heavily bullied among my so-called new friends in school. They treated me like trash. If I don't follow what they want they would left me out. They would spread gossip about me. That's when I started having anxiety attacks" SoHyun's tears couldn't be stopped now even if she tried.

"So when I came back I wanted to feel loved and accepted again. I didn't know I was hurting others in the process. It took me awhile to realize that. I still have those nightmares that's why I finally agreed with Sungjae to have therapy here. I'm staying here for good as well. I'll start new here. I still haven't fought all the demons inside me but I'm really trying. I hope I can step a little forward by starting with asking forgiveness from you. My pain wasn't an excuse to hurt you, too" SoHyun concluded and hid her face with her two hands thereafter. She was ashamed of herself. She found about Joy's story too from Ilhoon later on and she felt devastated that they had a similar experience and yet she bullied her as well. She was no different from her own bullies. She had tried looking for Joy... everybody did. Yet the odds weren't on their favor for several years. It seemed a miracle to chance upon Joy today.

Joy, on the other hand, was shocked to hear SoHyun's revelation. Sometimes hurt could indeed change people... even she, herself was a victim of it.

She gets it now. As much as SoHyun had caused her so much pain, Joy can't help but understand her. Full with sincerity, Joy reached out to SoHyun's hands and gave them a soft squeeze. She then reached out for a napkin and handed it out for SoHyun to wipe her tears away.

Seeing Joy soften a bit gave some peace to SoHyun. She knows they're completely okay yet, but at least there's some progress. "Joy-ah... can I... m-maybe call you u-unnie?" SoHyun shyly asked.

Joy chuckled at such sudden request. "Of course. You finally got some respect!" She teased, causing the two to laugh, now unrestrained.

"Have you seen Sungjae, unnie? I can call him for you" SoHyun asked while giving her a knowing squint.

"Um... it's okay, SoHyun. I'll contact him on another day. Anyways, I have to go for now, okay? Please take care of yourself. We'll heal slowly. I'll meet you on a better day" Joy gave an assuring smile to SoHyun and respectfully excused herself. It was one thing to deal with SoHyun and another thing to deal with SoHyun and Sungjae.