Now They Know

A/N: Hey guys, sorry for taking so long to get back to this story. Covid has put me in a real slump and I haven't been able to write because of it. I'm slowly trying to get back at it, so bare with me. Thank you for your patience <3

Tony sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "So, why didn't you tell us all of this before?" He looked at me, a bit upset.

"Again, Tony, I just barely remembered. I hit my head after running from HYDRA and had amnesia. It's not my fault. If I knew before now, I'd have become a hermit. Or worse." I mumbled the last part. "Besides, Nat is an assassin too."

"Not one that was made to kill Cap." Tony stated.

"Well, he's still alive, isn't he?" I pointed to Steve, who was standing beside me. 

"Tony, cut her some slack. With what she told me at Central Park, this is the most normal her life has been in a long time." Steve said.

I nodded. "Plus, I recently learned I'm almost as old as Rogers."

Bruce looked at me curiously. "Really? How old are you then?"

"Well, I look like I'm 24, but technically, I'm about 78 years old."

"That's 18 years younger than Steve." Nat commented.

I nodded. "Yeah, I look pretty damn good for an old lady."

"Stop changing the subject. We have a woman who was made specifically to kill our very own Captain America living in the same building as him. Is everyone really okay with that?" Tony asked.

I sighed and looked at Tony. "You can lock me in a cell if it will make you feel better. But again, I haven't had that command going through my head for years."

"Tony, leave her alone. She'll be fine. Besides, JARVIS will tell us if something happens." Nat said.

Clint nodded in agreement. "Yeah, I trust her."

Steve nodded as well. "It's decided. Alexx stays. And so does her new puppy."

"What?" Tony looked at me with confusion. 

I held out my arms a bit, showing the sleeping pup. "I found her at the park. She's been abandoned."

Tony pinched the bridge of his nose again and sighed. "Alexx, I can't let you and a puppy stay any longer. The puppy will need to be trained, and you are an ex-HYDRA agent."

I looked at the puppy and sighed, defeated.

"Tony, I said stop!" Steve exclaimed.

I looked at Tony. "Can I at least stay until I find somewhere else to go?"

Tony sighed again and nodded. "I guess so."

"Thank you." I turned away and went to my room, going to the bathroom.

I heard my door open and footsteps came into the bathroom with me. "Alexx, don't listen to him. I won't let him kick you out of the tower."

"Steve, it's his tower, he can do whatever he wants." I went to the bathtub and placed the puppy inside, turning on the warm water. The puppy held onto my hand with her paws, staying away from the water.

"Come on, don't just give up." 

I looked toward Steve. "Why not? Nothing in my life has gone right. Abby and I can just go and live our lives the best we can." 

Steve shook his head and knelt beside me, gently petting the puppy. "Who is Abby?"

I motioned to the puppy and shrugged. "I named her after my little sister."

"Oh. Well, I think it fits." Steve smiled softly.

When the water was warm, I started to wash Abby, gently getting the mud off of her. Steve helped me out, getting the mud off of her bum while I gently rubbed her face. She licked my hand and I smiled softly. 

I got up and grabbed a towel while Steve pet her, then returned. Steve picked her up and placed her in the towel in my arms. Going to my bed, I sat down and dried her off. 

"Hey, Steve, can you dry her off while I take a shower?" I asked as Steve came out of my bathroom.

"Sure." Steve took Abby from my arms and continued to dry her off. 

I went to my closet, grabbed a fresh set of pajamas, then went back to the bathroom. I took a quick shower, got dressed, then I laid on my bed.

"Are you okay, Alexx?" Steve looked at me and placed Abby next to me.

"I'm fine. I'm just tired." I sighed. "I'm gonna sleep now."

"Okay. Goodnight, Alexx."

Steve left my room, turning off the lights as he did. Abby and I curled together and soon we were asleep.