Paying A Price

A/N: Unlike last book, I'm trying to have an image at the top of every chapter. This will be hard, but I like it a lot! 

Here we go!

Steve was now the man in charge. He needed to think of a plan to get onto the helicarriers and replace the targeting disks. I thought that some fresh air would do us both some good.

I grabbed Steve's arm and went outside onto the bridge of the dam, overlooking the forest that surrounded it. Letting go of Steve, I inhaled deeply, enjoying the slight breeze. He looked at me and smiled. 

After a moment, a small fire ball formed in my palm. I wanted to practice my new power more before the big fight. I wasn't going to rely on it, but I did want to be able to use it if I needed it. 

"Does it hurt?" Steve asked. 

I shook my head. "Not at all. In fact, it feels cold." I looked at him. "Do you want to touch it?" 

Steve held his hand out slowly, nervously hovering over the fire. 

"Don't worry, it won't hurt you." I nodded to him.

He lowered his hand into the fire in my palm, turning his hand over and smiling a bit. "This is amazing." He looked at me. "It does feel cold."

I smiled and put the fire out. "I think I'm ready."

***

Sam joined us outside a few minutes later, quickly getting down to business. "He's gonna be there, you know." 

"I know." Steve replied.

"Look, whoever he used to be and the guy he is now, I don't think he's the kind you save. He's the kind you stop."

"I don't know if I can do that."

"Well, he might not give you a choice. He doesn't know you."

Steve looked at Sam. "He will." He looked at me, then smiled a bit. "Gear up. It's time." He turned toward the open gate at the end of the bridge.

"You gonna wear that?" Sam asked, gesturing to Steve's clothes.

"No. If you're gonna fight a war, you got to wear a uniform." Steve said, looking at us as he walked away.

I was quick to follow. "Where are we going?" I asked.

"Like I said, 'you got to wear a uniform.'" Steve repeated.

"Yeah, I heard that." I nodded.

I continued to follow Steve, thinking as we went. Soon we ended up outside the museum, the doors closed and locked.

"Tell me why we're here, before we do anything else." I told Steve.

He sighed and looked at me. "We're here to get my uniform."

I nodded, finally understanding. "All right, you stay here. I'll open the doors." I smiled.

I quickly slipped inside the museum without setting off any alarms, unlocked the doors, and got Steve inside. Navigating our way to the Captain America exhibit, Steve and I snuck past the few guards in the building and found the uniform. Without leaving fingerprints, I slid every bit of the uniform off of the mannequin and handed it to Steve. He quickly changed into the uniform, and we slipped back out of the museum, heading back to the dam, where I changed into one of Maria's spare SHIELD catsuits. 

Once everyone was ready, Maria, Sam, Steve and I walked through the wooded area close to SHIELD Headquarters. Steve wore the replica of his Captain America suit and helmet from the museum, Sam had his Falcon wings, and Maria and I wore SHIELD suits. I had been given two hand guns, some ammo in pouches no my belt and a knife in a holster on my left forearm.

Sam, Steve and Maria stayed hidden in the trees while I found a way inside. With my superhuman abilities, I was able to find a way in that wouldn't raise any alarms. I could still see the woods from where I was, so I lit a small fire ball in my hand, signaling to the others.

***

"Someone's coming." I moved away from the door so that it wouldn't hit me when it opened.

Maria had caused interference in the headsets of everyone behind the door, causing a high pitched screech to ring out. Her plan worked perfectly. Someone was on their way out to see what had made their headsets do that.

Maria, Sam and I held guns in our hands while Steve had his shield on his arm. The door in front of us opened and a man in a blue jumpsuit and hat stood on the other side. We aimed our guns at the man, showing we meant business.

"Excuse us." Steve said, stepping toward the man. He threw his hands up in surrender and moved out of our way, letting us into the room.

Sam and I corralled everyone else out of the room. Steve took his helmet off and put his shield on his back. Maria turned the PA system on. We put our guns away and waited as Steve took a deep breath before beginning.

"Attention all SHIELD agents, this is Steve Rogers." Steve spoke into a microphone. As he started speaking, I listened for anyone that might come for us. "You've heard a lot about me over the last few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth." Steve looked pained about what he was going to say. I stood next to him and placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder, nodding him on. "SHIELD is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want. Absolute control. They shot Nick Fury. And it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way. Unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot. But the price of freedom is high. It always has been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it." Sam, Maria and I looked at Steve as he looked at us. "But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

Sam walked up behind me and Steve. "Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?"

I smiled. "Let's go stop these sons of bitches."