He didn't push me into the wall NEARLY as hard as he could have...I suddenly realize what I just did.

Unless a miracle happens, dad is going to physically assault me.

Dad has me pinned, and he's struggling—I can see it on his face.

"Dad, please don't—I'm sorry," I beg, tears streaming down my face. Before I know what's happening, dad punches the wall next to my head. His fist goes completely through the drywall.

He steps away from me then, and tries to control his breathing. He grabs his keys from the counter and puts on his shoes. "Let's go."

I don't even ask where, I just do what he says.

We drive silently—Dad is literally shaking with anger. I breathe a sigh of relief when we pull into mom's place.

Now I'm safe

We go up quickly and dad rings the doorbell. Then he knocks loudly....He does this over and over and over until both Taylor and mom appear at the door.

Taylor is in nothing but boxers, and mom is in some skimpy nightgown.

How nauseating.

They were both in a deep sleep, and they're both disoriented.

"Oh Alex, no—Liam, go inside," mom says as soon as she sees dad's face.

I go inside and head to my room. I leave it open a crack, but I don't turn on the light so I can snoop. Dad comes in and mom immediately makes him sit on a bar stool.

"Look at me Alex. Alexander Levi Clark, focus on me. Right now. Come on Alex, look at me," she says, getting right in his face, trying to get him to snap out of it.

"You don't even know what he said to me," dad barks in a weird, slurred tone.

"I don't care what he said to you—Look at me," she snaps, grabbing his face in her hands. "Come on, take deep breaths. You're good. Look, you're already starting to relax. Come on!"

Dad slumps his shoulders. "Oh my gosh I almost punched him," he cries.

How did mom do that so quickly?

"Did you hit him?" Mom asks in a stern voice.

"No. I shoved him in a wall, and then punched a hole through it."

Mom nods and holds him—She holds him for a long time. Taylor is just standing there, horrified.

"What happened?" Mom finally asks.

"He's blaming me for your career choice—The things he said to me....He got mad and stormed out, and didn't come back for hours. He wouldn't answer his phone at all. Then, he gets home and still wants to fight with me. He shoved me, and I started seeing red. Gah! I could've hurt him this time, El."

"But you didn't..."

"I was this close," dad says, showing mom with his fingers how close he really was.

I was really close to being dead...

"I'm proud of you, friend," mom says, kissing his forehead.

"Nice nightgown," dad chuckles, starting to return back to normal.

Mom looks down and notices what she's wearing for the first time, her face turning a soft crimson against her pale, ivory skin. "Oh jeeze!!!"

"I'm kidding El—I've seen a lot more of you than that."

Dad starts shaking his head a little, suddenly embarrassed and looking at Taylor.

"Sorry, man!"

Taylor lifts up his hand, gesturing that it's not a big deal.

"Ok, I'll be right back," mom says, going back to the bedroom.

They both chuckle softly, and sit in silence until she gets back. When she comes out, she's in a sweatshirt and leggings.

"I hate to keep passing him off..." dad starts.

"It's fine—He can come to the station with us tomorrow.

"You gonna tell me what he said?" Mom asks, sitting down across from him on the other side of the bar.

Dad shakes his head and lets out a sigh. "He said that I was a loser who doesn't know how to say no. That I should've been a man and never let you become a paramedic in the first place. He said Jake was right, that I am a girl—It's just the way he said it, ya know?"

Dang—I really hurt him this time.

"That little punk," mom says in a dark tone. "I'll take care of it tomorrow."

"No, El—Just leave it alone. This isn't even about me. The thought of almost losing you has shook him. Hard. He just doesn't know how to process it."

After all I just did to him, he's still trying to keep me out of troubleI am a punk.

"For what it's worth," Taylor starts in, speaking for the first time tonight. "I haven't known this little thing for long, but I've learned REAL quick that she doesn't do well with being told no. Had I been in your position years ago, I never would've been able to persuade her to do something else. Even if I wanted to, I would've been too scared—This thing is terrifying," he teases, smiling gently at mom.

"You're hilarious," mom says. "Go put some pants on, ya goof."

"No need, I'm leaving. Thanks guys—I'm sorry I had to wake you up."

Taylor goes up to him and looks him hard in the eyes. "I don't care what time it is. If that kid is in danger, you come busting on my door day or night, and never apologize for it."

"Thanks for loving my kid, Preston," dad says, smiling at him and giving mom a kiss. "I'm gonna make an appointment with Annie in the morning. I'll come by tomorrow afternoon and get him. See you guys tomorrow."

Once dad shuts the door behind him, mom looks towards my room. "I'm gonna kill him."

"No you're not—His light is off. More than likely he's in bed already...Or he's spying. Either way, you need some sleep. Shift is gonna come early in the morning," Taylor says, kissing her.

"And if I say no?"

"Well, as you just heard, I'm terrified of you. So in that case I'll just say 'Yes Ma'am' and go to bed by myself...all alone...with nobody to snuggle with...."

Mom chuckles and grabs his hand as he pulls her back into the bedroom.

So now I'm going to be at the station all day.... Phase three of my plan will now commence.