Chapter 6: The Way Home

On the bridge of the Aegis, Jupiter takes a long look around this amazing ship and her last views of her home planet from space. Standing by Caine's side, she says to the Captain, "Thank you for everything you and your crew have done for me... well, for us."

"It's been my pleasure, your Ladyship, and an honor to meet someone as extraordinary as yourself," Tsing mentions, with admiration.

Flattered by such a compliment, Jupiter says in return, "Thank you for saying so, but I would hardly call myself extraordinary."

"I beg to differ," the Captain repeats. "Do you have everything you need? All that you've brought with you?"

"Oh, I've forgotten that little bag of digi-pads that they gave me at the Commonwealth, and... I wonder if I can keep that lavender dress Kalique gave me?"

"If her Highness gave you that dress, then it's your dress," Diomika breaks protocol for a moment to mention, "None of us here may wear it."

Not catching the greater context meant by that statement, Jupiter proclaims, "I should go get it." Touching Caine's arm, she whispers, "I'll be right back."

"Okay," he responds, smiling at her.

Halted in her tracks, she mentions aloud, "Dammit, where's my room again?"

The Captain addresses her Communications Officer, a simulant of stark white who's adorned with a human face and digital eyes of blue, ordering, "Gemma, kindly escort her Majesty to her quarters on Deck 4, Number 23."

"Aye, Captain," Gemma responds, locking her terminal and saying, "This way if you please, your Ladyship."

"Thank you," Jupiter says with some embarrassment.

The Captain waits until the two are out of sight, turning to ask of her subordinate, "Mr. Wise, do you remember what your job is?"

"Yes ma'am! I am to protect her Majesty with my life!" he replies, undaunted.

"Excellent. Good man," she commends. "As a reward for your service to this ship, and bravery to her Majesty, you have the entire crew's confidence."

"Thank you, ma'am."

"I want you to know, I have ordered a blockade around the planet."

"Ma'am?" he questions.

"This is to ensure that no information gets in, and no information gets out!"

Looking directly at his CO, he understands her meaning and replies, "I thank you."

"This will buy you some time," she explains, "Not much."

Caine nods his head, acknowledging Tsing is putting herself on the line for me. "I will not let you down, ma'am," he vows.

"You have earned my confidence, soldier," she says, adding, "Off the record, I wish you well, knowing you will act in good conscience while doing your duty."

"His duty?" Jupiter repeats, silently walking up on the pair, "This conversation sounds very serious."

Seeing her struggling with both the bag and the dress, Caine reaches to take the duffel-bag from her hands.

"Oh, thank you, Caine," she whispers. Turning to question the Captain, "I hope Caine isn't in any kind of trouble because of me?"

"No trouble at all," Tsing reassures her, "I was merely giving Mr. Wise valuable instructions regarding his new position as your Elite Royal Guard."