Chapter 47

Maeve was relieved to be a Head Girl, purely based on the fact that she didn't have to go to the compartment on the train that she had been sharing with Cedric for the past 6 years. She felt bad for Julia, for the fact that she couldn't sit with her, but on her rounds around the train she walked past her sitting with Melvin and Fleet. She gave them a wave as she walk by helping first years find a seat. She finally made it to the cart, with the compartment she usually sat in, only to find 3 new first years. They seemed nervous but were really opening up to one another and you would think it would hurt her but it just brought a smile to her face and wave of her favorite memories in that seat with Cedric. Down the cart, Fred and George were watching her look in the compartment, that they knew was her and her friends. They were kind of on edge to see how she would react, but that was evaporated when they saw her lip curl into her famous smile.

"Maeve!" They yelled down her, she walked over to them with a smile.

"Thats Head Girl, to you." She smirked.

"Yeah okay, pack it up Percy." George laughed, she just shook her head and nudge his shoulder.

"I need to go check that everyone has a seat and inform the prefects of their roles and i'll come by your compartment after." She kissed Fred, and went off.

Eventually they were in the Great Hall, but when Julia and Maeve walk in, they were hesitant to sit at the table. Once they all sat down, Maeve and Julia just stood at the end of the table just looking at it, a few started to catch eye of them. Melvin stood up with Fleet and walked over to the frozen girls and guided them to the table. The Hufflepuff table had a new atmosphere, it wasn't normal. They all were still the bubbly kids that everyone knew, but they were all still grieving, that table was missing one person this year. Other tables noticed the love radiating off the table when they saw the other puffs guiding the girls to the table.

"They're just staring at the table." Ron whispered to the group. They all looked up and saw the girls standing there, not moving.

"They seem better, though." Hermione added, "they didn't stop when they got to the entrance, they actually just walk in. Thats a big step."

"Should we help them?" Harry asked, but before they got up they saw movement at the table. They saw a few Puffs stand up and few walk over to the girls guiding them to a seat.

"No, this is something they all need to do. They are all grieving. I think it's a sigh a relief really, for them to see the girls." George turned his attention to the group, "I think they all need to heal together."

The sorting went normal as always, everyone was on edge because they didn't know if it would be the same as every other year. But Maeve put on her brave face and cheered for every new student. The last thing they heard come out of Maeve's mouth, was her sobs at the last task. Her cries for Cedric, were the last words they all heard come out of her voice. So hearing her cheers were what they needed to here. But when the first Hufflepuff was sorted, it wasn't just Maeve up in her seat, it was the whole table. They might have lost one, but they were gaining more. And it wasn't just them, a few cheers came from all the tables for the new Hufflepuffs, the school saw them differently this year. They weren't just the other house no one talk about, they saw the loyalty they all portrayed, they saw their kindness. They saw Cedric. When she stood up for the first time to cheer, she was blown away from the eruption of cheers around her, she was finally not feeling alone. Her family wasn't going to let her do it alone anymore, she felt the tears form in her eyes when she watched the Great Hall cheer for her Puffs. She looked over at the Gryffindor table and saw her friends standing up to, cheering with her and her house. The professors saw a new school, they were seeing what Maeve could do to the world, she could bring them all together.

"Welcome back students!" Dumbledore sang, looking out at the rows of houses, "Now, we have two changes in staffing this year, but I first would like to introduce everyone to your new Head Girl." He smiled looking over at Maeve, she felt her heart stop. What will people think of her, would they still trust her. She didn't want people to think she would use her higher power to take advantage. "Maeve Scamander will be your new Head Girl." He winked at her. What she didn't expect was the cheers that came. The Hufflepuff table was once again up on their feet, cheering for her.

"THAT'S MY GIRLFRIEND!" She heard Fred across the Hall standing up clapping. George, the Trio and Lee were banging their fist on the table whistling and cheering for her.

Once everyone sat down, she stood up and waved to the hall, letting out a small giggle. Oh how she wish Cedric was here to see her. "Congratulations Miss Scamander," he nodded to her as she sat down, "Now back to the new professors, we are pleased to welcome back Professor Grubby Plank, who'll be taking Care fo Magical Creatures..... while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave."

Maeve frowned, she went to Hagrid for everything. He was the one helping her with her gift, he was also someone she considered her friend. Julia grabbed Maeve's hand and gave her a squeeze. She leaned into her as they went on listening.

"We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the Professor good luck. Now, as usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you all—"

"Hem hem..."

Maeve's eyes switched to the woman, who she was guessing Umbridge, who was sporting a nauseating pink dress suit. The woman cleared her throat loudly to gain Dumbledore's attention and when he turned around to look at her, she was already on her feet walking over to the podium.

"Fred!" Harry whispered, "can you send this over to Maeve?" He pushed a small parchment to Fred, he took out his wand and sent the note to float over to her without anyone noticing. When the note landed in front of her she looked over to Fred and he pointed at Harry with a shrug. She looked over to Harry and he had pleading eyes.

She was at my hearing. She works for Fudge..

Was written on the parchment, she looked back at Harry with her eyebrows scrunched, she then calmed her face, and sent him back the parchment

We'll figure it out, don't worry. :)

He looked back up at her, and she gave him a reassuring smile, then turned her attention back to the pink troll.

"Thank you Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome," she looked back at the crowd, Maeve did not like this lady. And she likes everyone. "And how lovely to see all your bright... happy faces smiling at me." She looked around and saw no one smiling, she could only laugh. Which she didn't know was loud enough for Umbridge to hear, until she felt her stare on her. She quickly covered up the laugh with a cough and frantically took a drink of water, "I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends." She looked over at the Gryffindor table, and the twins looked at her and pretended to gag. She shook her head with a smile, trying not to laugh again.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizard of vital importance. Although each Headmaster has brought something new to this historic school. Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected and prune practices that ought to be prohibited." She finished, taking her seat. As Dumbledore walked back to the podium, the parchment was once again in front of her. She looked up and spotted a nervous Potter staring at her.

What does she mean?

She sent the parchment back to the lions table.

In means the Ministry is now interfering at Hogwarts....