Forever and Always - CHAPTER 4

'Great, just great,' himutok ni Alex sa sarili habang tinatanaw ang papalapit na kababata kasama ang date nito. It's his father's birthday party. It's the first time Pepper is with someone else. He had been eyeing on her since she came in and he almost didn't recognize her. It's the first time she wore her hair in a bun and dolled herself up. Pepper has always been beautiful but tonight, the sight of her is just, breathtaking. Napabuga siya ng hin8inga. It is the first time he sees Pepper in a different way. And for the life of him, he had been trying hard not to snatch her from Lance's arms.

Napabuntong-hininga siya at napa-iling sa sarili. This is bad. He had always been by her side, how did he miss it? How could things drastically change overnight?

Nahigit niya ang hininga nang kumaway ito at ngumit sa kanya. Pagkuwa'y tumingin ito kay Lance. There is something in the way she looks at Lance that made his insides quiver.

His Pepper is falling in love. It came all too fast. He just took a picture of them and the next thing he knew, their feelings got developed too. That mere thought made him cringe. Where did that thought come from?

Napatingin siya sa kamay ni Lance na nakapalibot sa bewang ng dalaga. He could feel the bitterness from his own heart, rising to his throat. It left an aftertaste on his mouth. Saka lang niya namalayang nakakuyom ang kamao niya. He really wanted to punch the guy in the face. Can't he keep his hands off Pepper? He hates that Lance guy. Well, he probably would hate every guy Pepper would grow fond of. He hated the fact that he can never be that kind of guy for her.

Nagulat siya nang may tumapik sa pisngi niya. Bumungad sa kanya ang nakasimangot na mukha ni Antoinette, his date for tonight whom he had been courting for a month now.

"Kanina pa ako nagsasalita, hindi ka naman pala nakikinig. This party sucks, Alex."

Matagal bago niya naintidihan ang sinabi ni Antoinette. His mind is still full of thoughts about Pepper. He wants to be with her. He wants to be with Pepper badly now. Gusto niyang batukan ang sarili. It's unfair for his date.

Antoinette pouted. Napatawa siya dahil pareho sila ng nararamdaman. This party really sucks. Masuyo niyang hinapit ang bewang nito. "Welcome to my world, darling."

"Why did you invite me then?" mataray na tanong nito.

"Because it feels better having you here," aniya.

Bumaba ang nakataas na kilay nito. "Really?" anito sabay ngiti.

Ngumiti siya at tumango sabay pisil sa tungki ng ilong nito. Siyang paglapit ni Pepper at Lance. Suddenly he could not breathe. Suddenly he wants to just take her hand and run away. There was a spark of laughter in Pepper's eyes. Was she that happy being with Lance?

"Hey," tanging sabi niya sabay ngiti sa best friend saka binalingan si Lance at tinanggap ang pakikipag-kamay nito. "Glad you came, dude," aniya sabay ngiting mapakla.

But he's not glad at all. He wished this night could just end. This is the worst night of all. Napabuga siya ng hininga nang makitang papalayo ang dalawa para sumayaw.

"Are you just gonna stare at them?" naulinigan niyang tanong ng katabi.

Gusto niyang tampalin ang sariling noo. Why is he always forgetting he is with Antoinette?

"Will you dance with me?" aniyang inilahad ang kamay.

"I thought you'd never ask," anito.

He held Antoinette close. Didn't he admire this girl so much? He wouldn't have courted her for no reason. He likes her. But why is her company not enough for him? He should at least focus making her comfortable tonight. But he can't even help his eyes and look for Pepper.