"Weird. Maybe he had vampire stuff to deal with?"

"Yeah maybe." Who knew why he did anything?

The door chimed and Tate strolled in. He made his way to the counter where we were sitting and ordered a coffee to go.

I was surprised to see him here because the last time I spoke to him, he was out of town bringing back some friends. I was happy to see that he was back so we could end this for good.

"Hey, Tate," I greeted and he eyed Lily next to me, "This is Lily. Lily, this is Tate. He's a vampire slayer." I said that last part quietly, unsure of how she'd react.

"You won't slay me though, right?" She teased lightly but he gave a serious reply.

"Give me one reason not to."

She widened her eyes and I laughed to ease the tension.

"He's joking. Right, Tate?"

"Right," his expression didn't change, "I'll be on call if you need me." The waitress handed him his hot coffee across the counter.

"Bye, it was nice meeting. . ." she trailed off as he went on his way and I shook my head.

"Don't take it personally, he hates all vampires."

"But he's a vampire, too?"

"He is." Vampires could detect other vampires through their senses. She probably guessed because she didn't hear his heart.

"But he slays us? Why?"

"It's a long story."

"I can keep up."

"A vampire kidnapped him and his family a long, long time ago. The vampire only bit him and starved him so he'd have no choice but to feed from them. It took one month for him to crack, which is a very long time a vampire can go without blood. He ended up killing his parents and younger sister. Ever since then, he's hated all vampires he's come across—well, except Dexter."

"Oh. That's so sad." She frowned and I nodded.

"He never found that vampire." That was the saddest part. He'd been so consumed with revenge that it was all he ever cared about.

"How old is he exactly?"

"I forget the year but he said he was born before the New World, so like after the fourteen hundred's, I think."

"And he looks like that? He looks good."

"You will, too. You'll never age."

Her face fell slightly and she picked up an onion scrap to play with.

"I don't know whether to be happy or sad," she said after a while, "I won't get wrinkles or gray hair and I'll live forever." Most people would kill to have that problem, but it came at a price.

"Well, your hair and nails still grow a little, which is pretty weird considering you don't really age anymore—" she inhaled sharply and I stopped, "What? What's wrong?"

"Will I ever have kids?"

"No, vampires can't have children."

She looked down with a mix of shock and grief. Lily had always had a young spirit so she was good at connecting with kids. She loved babies the most though and used to babysit her neighbors for free.

Out of all my friends, she was probably the most likely to want kids of her own.

"I'm sorry, Lily," I apologized and she shook her head.

"It's okay, I'll just adopt."

"Yeah, you can do that but it might not be such a good idea—and there are rules."

"Like what?"

"Like that you can't adopt or turn anyone younger than sixteen."

"Oh." She frowned.

"Yeah," I nodded, "Gaia tries enforcing these rules but not everybody listens."

A bunch of calls from my mom started coming in but I ignored them.

"Your parents?" She asked knowingly.

"Yeah, they won't stop asking where I am and when I'll be home and who I'm with." I rolled my eyes. "Are you going to be okay here?"

"Yeah, I think I just need to sit with all this and process everything by myself." Lily sighed. "You can go, I'll be here."

"Okay." I grabbed her cold hands and squeezed, "Call me if you need anything."

"Thanks, Bri."

I walked to my car and sat there for a while. My parents had finally let me use one of their cars because I told them I was studying at the library and didn't want to walk back home now that it was getting so dark so fast.

I called Tate and he picked up on the first ring.

"So there's a new vampire in town,"

"She was turned. By Cecelia." I was ninety-nine percent confident.

"Would she be interested in becoming a slayer?" Tate asked. That's what he did, he sought out humans who were forced to turn and welcomed them to join his group.

"I'd have to ask her. Did you bring back any friends?"

"I did. You'll be meeting them this week."

"Okay cool. How many are there?" I'd heard some stories about his friends but had never met any.

"One."

"Just one?" I thought he was going to bring at least five. What could we do with just one more slayer?

"Trust me, this one's worth at least ten vampires."

"Okay, I believe it," And I really did, "I have to drive home now,"

"Alright. Stay safe," he said before he hung up.

Revenge was the first thing on my mind. I wanted action not just empty words, I wanted to set a plan and follow through this time. I wanted it to work.

I decided I wouldn't confront Isaiah and give him the satisfaction. I knew he or Cecelia did this to Lily, I just had to find a way to retaliate. Now with Tate and his friend in town, we might stand a chance.

Thanks for sticking around for the slow updates!! How are y'all doing these days??