XXV

"Took you long enough

"Took you long enough." Dexter said as the hunters climbed through the open windows and into Jenny's house. "I texted you half an hour ago."

"We didn't see your message." Tate shrugged. So Dexter must've sent them an SOS sometime before Isaiah spilled his life story.

Tate and Gill got to work and dragged Isaiah's body down the front hall. Good thing Jenny's grandma was fast asleep so she wouldn't hear all the noise.

"What are you going to do with him?" I asked.

"We've called in another slayer to take over from here."

"Why call another slayer? Can't we just burn him or something?" Dexter asked.

"No, he wants his body."

I wanted to ask who "he" was but they were already rushing out to the van.

"Can two of you help us with the coffin?" Tate asked when he came back in and Dexter and Jenny volunteered to go outside. "Brielle, can you watch him for a minute?"

I nodded and they all went outside.

My eyes darted to Isaiah's face. He looked like he was sleeping but he'd told us that he could still hear and feel everything around him.

He looked so peaceful. Not at all like a dangerous, murderous vampire with terrible mood swings.

His family's story wasn't at all what I was expecting. It was much sadder and grim, especially for Gaia. I didn't know anything about the other siblings but were their stories just as tragic?

All he wanted was his family back—

Wait, why was I feeling guilty all of a sudden?

He deserved it. For what he did. Now he and his family could leave us alone. It was for the best.

Right?

Right. . .

But I could see his point of view. Ulrich was a backstabbing asshole and I hated him too, for what he did to Lily. It was obvious he had no value for human life and was very skilled at charming people. He'd charmed Gaia and made her think he loved her.

Gaia and her family would just be replaced with Ulrich's newblood army. He'd turn every human in town just to serve him. A trade off from one terrible person to another terrible person was all it was.

And I couldn't let that happen.

Before I could think too deeply about what I was doing, I reached down and pulled out the two stakes in Isaiah's chest.

His eyes opened a few seconds after the wood left his body. He saw me next to him and silently stood up. Then he picked me up and used his vampire speed to escape.

We ended up back at my house in my bedroom.

He dropped me back on the ground with the most confused expression on his face.