Marinus-5

Marina

The storm has gotten worse. There's more snow falling now, and the wind is growing stronger by the minute. It's keeping it quite dark, with only faint signs that the Sun has risen behind the clouds. The temperature feels like it's dropped a lot as well. Suddenly, I'm glad that Mom told us to stay home today and not go to the city. We're not even that far from home, and I feel as if I'm going to freeze to death.

Dad and I stayed at the Rest Stop for a while, just talking. Not even about really anything that serious. He told me about the day that he proposed to Mom and their wedding day that went to crap. I still only remember a little bit of that. He also told me about some of his time in Olympus, which he doesn't often do. But whenever the wind started to pick up, we left. By then, the snow was so thick and coming down faster than it had been, with the wind picking up on top of that, it's made it hard to see. I think it's gearing up to be a blizzard.

Dad: We're almost there!

We have to yell even though we're right next to each other. Dad has his arm wrapped around my neck, and I have mine wrapped around his back for the extra warmth.

Me: Are you sure?!

Dad: Positive!

Sure enough, within about a minute of him saying that the wall appears. I couldn't see it until we were almost on top of it. That's going to make defending tough, but no one would attack in this weather anyway. And I doubt Walkers will be a problem right now.

The gate opens, and we pass the guard as we walk in. He nods to us and shuts the gate. It has to be difficult with the wind blowing so hard.

There aren't many people out. Most of them are running around, preparing for the long few days ahead. If this continues for just a few hours, it'll be rough.

We make it to our house. There's some smoke coming out of the chimney like every other home. At least someone is making sure that the place is warm.

Dad opens the door and lets me in first. I can immediately tell the difference here. There's still the cold wind on my back, but I'm already starting to feel better. The sudden change in temperature is lightly stinging my skin. Dad shuts the door, and now we're out of the cold, and I couldn't be happier.

Dad: Holy... It's awful out there.

Me: How bad do you think it's going to be?

We start stripping our winter gear off.

Dad: No telling, but it seems like we could be in for a bad one.

Me: You think Mom is up?

Dad: No, it's probably Brooklyn who's stoking the fire.

Brooklyn: Yep.

She comes around the corner and leans on the wall.

Brooklyn: Where have you two been?

Dad: Out.

Brooklyn: Oh, really?

Me: We went for a jog.

Brooklyn: In this weather, wearing that much?

Me: Yep.

Brooklyn: Fine, it's cool, don't tell me if you don't want to. As long as you weren't out making enemies with the wrong people. I've got enough to worry about already without having to deal with another community.

Dad: If I'm making enemies, they're dead before you have to deal with them.

Brooklyn: I have plenty of stories to prove otherwise.