"How exactly do they sort us?" Harry asked ron.

"Some sort of tests, I think. Fred says it hurts a lot, but i think he was joking."

"It's just the sorting hat." Celeste reassured them with a smile. "My brother told me about it. Apparently you just put the hat on and it calls out your house."

It seemed to calm them, but only a little. Hermione was whispering spells under her breath as if to remember them. Now that she thinks about it, everyone was nervous except her. She was nervous that morning, but then she thought, any house wouldn't be bad. Her father would probably be disappointed but only for a week or two at most.

All of the sudden she heard gasps and screams. She looked around and saw that there were ghosts floating all around. And they seemed to be- arguing?

As the doors Celeste's saw thousands of candles floating in the air over four long tables, where the rest of the students sat. The tables were laid with beautiful gold plates and goblets. At the top of the hall there was another table where the teachers were sitting.         

Professor McGonagall led the first years up here, so that they came to a halt in a line facing the students, with the teachers behind them. Celeste looked around the hundred of faces and saw Cedric and Julian waving to her from the Hufflepuff and Slytherin table. She heard Hermione wispher to Harry that the ceiling was bewitched to look like the sky outside.

The four of them looked forward as Professor McGonagall put a four legged stool infront of the first years, with a pointed wizard hat on top of it. All of the sudden, the hat started to twitch, then began to sing:

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your black,
Your sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in ,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in ,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old ,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

The whole hall burst into applause as the Sorting Hat finished its song. It bowed to each table then became quite still again.
"So we've just got to try on the hat!" Ron whispered to Harry and Celeste. "I told you Ron. I don't think this school would make 11 year olds fight trolls when half of us don't know any spells." Said Celeste.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted." McGonagall said, "Abbott, Hannah!"
A pink faced girl with blonde pigtails stumbled out of lne, put on the hat, which fell over her eyes, and sat down. A moments pause :