Talk it Out, Sort it Out

The next morning, after breakfast, and after telling Betelgeuse to go and hang out with the Maitlands, Lydia slowly made her way up to her dad's office (which was located away from all the bedrooms on the second floor of the house) with the sole purpose of asking her dad to forgive Betelgeuse for his actions the previous night. She began to fear the worst as she made her way down the second floor hallway towards her dad's office which was located behind two large wooden doors on the wall in front of her, that he would refuse to forgive Betelgeuse and none of them would ever see the demon again.

Taking a deep breath, she waited for her dad to open the door for her. After a few long and boring minutes, the door opened and Charles let his daughter in.

"Is there something you needed, sweetheart?" he asked as soon as Lydia sat down.

"Yeah," the teen said with a nod. "Dad, can we talk?"

"Sure," he replied. "What about?"

"It's about Betelgeuse." Charles' face grew red at the mention of the name and Lydia flinched when he slammed his hands against his desk. "He's still upset about you yelling at him last night for the exploding lights incident."

"Well, he has every right to," replied Charles, looking sternly at his daughter. "He knew what he was getting into when he set fire to Barbara's back and made the lights explode. I told him no funny business. And what does he do? Go against that rule!"

"I'm sure he didn't mean to. Adam and Barbara said that it was okay for him to provide us entertainment for dinner last night. I guess they didn't mean the type of entertainment he did provide us last night. Don't you think it was amusing seeing Barbara not realize that she was on fire?"

"I was too busy getting mad at Betelgeuse to point that out, but I'm glad Adam did," said Charles, calming down a bit.

"Still, you can't force him to go back to the Netherworld permanently. The least you can do is allow him to come and go as he pleases," said Lydia, causing her dad to think it over for a little while. "And an apology might do," she continued. "We all know that he needs one from you."

"Lydia, you're starting to sound like Delia," Charles laughed.

"Dad!"

"Okay, okay." He stopped with his laughing and adopted a serious look on his face again.

"Want me to go upstairs and get him? Bring him down here so you can apologize quickly and we can get this whole situation sorted out? You can't just give him the silent treatment forever, y'know?"

Silently, Charles nodded and Lydia exited his office, rushing upstairs to the attic, where she knew Betelgeuse was.

She pushed open the door to the attic and entered, expecting to find Betelgeuse and the Maitlands somewhere in the attic. But there wasn't any sign of them anywhere. She made her way over towards the window that led out to the roof and found it open, meaning that all three deceased were outside on the roof. Lydia sighed quietly to herself and climbed out onto the roof.

"There you guys are," she said when she found her deceased friends standing over by the edge of the roof and leaning over the railing, looking down towards the ground.

Adam and Barbara had their hands on a sobbing, blue-haired Betelgeuse and the three jumped in surprise when they heard her voice. Lydia had to laugh. She'd heard of ghosts jump-scaring the living but not the other way around. She had to do this as a joke more often. Especially with Betelgeuse. It would make for a great prank in the near future. If, and only if, her dad would allow it.

"Lyds, you scared us!" exclaimed Barbara in delight as she and both males turned to face her all the while keeping themselves from laughing at the fact that Lydia managed to scare them. Lydia saw a proud smile cross Betelgeuse's face. A smile that meant he knew she was learning from the best, or had learned from the best.

"Yeah," the teen replied. "There wasn't any sign of you in the attic so I knew to check out here. Seeming as how Betelgeuse is out here and looking sad. I should do this scaring you guys thing more often. With some helpful tips from Betelgeuse of course."

"Hey?" Barbara suddenly had a thought. "Want us to scare your dad and Delia later on? I can assure you that they won't be expecting this. It'll give them the fright of their lives. It's going to be our best prank yet."

"I'm always up for doing something like that," said Lydia with a smirk. "As long as we don't do it to scare them out of the house this time around. What's on your mind?"

"We could trick them into thinking you died again," suggested Barbara, earning an amused laugh from Lydia. "I can't wait to see the looks on their faces when they realize that it's all but a prank we pulled on them."

"Heh heh," Lydia fake laughed. "I can't either."

"What's the real reason you came up here to find us?" asked Adam, deciding to change the subject.

"I managed to convince my dad to forgive Betelgeuse for the incidents he caused before dinner last night," said Lydia, looking from Adam, to Barbara, to Betelgeuse and back to Adam. "I kinda need him to come down to my dad's office with me so that he can forgive him."

"But what if he doesn't really want to forgive me?" lamented Betelgeuse, looking glumly over at Lydia, a lighter blue appearing in a few strands of his already bright blue hair. "What if he's still angry at me?"

"I assure you he's not." Lydia grabbed a hold of Betelgeuse's hand and began to lead Betelgeuse back into the attic so they could go and Betelgeuse could be forgiven for everything he did. Before she fully climbed through the window, she turned to look over towards the Maitlands and shouted out, wait for us in the living room and we can go over our plans to prank my dad and Delia in fifteen minutes, okay?!"

"Okay!" the Maitlands shouted back.

With that, Lydia gave them a smile and led Betelgeuse back inside to apologize to her dad.