Fighting Chance

When both Lydia and Betelgeuse floated down into the living room, they found what they expected to find. Charles, Delia, Adam, and Barbara sitting in a circle around the Handbook and chanting something in Latin. Adam and Barbara turned their heads and looked up at Lydia's ghost, smiled brightly, and winked, assuring her that everything was going to be alright in a few moments.

Charles and Delia, who were sat facing the wall Lydia and Betelgeuse were floating in front of, looked up and smiled at Lydia's ghost. She smiled back and the two living adults and two deceased adults went right back to what they were doing.

"Gah!" Barbara suddenly exclaimed. "We went ahead and broke our concentration! Now we have to start all over again!"

"Third time's the charm," Adam joked, smirking at Barbara. The latter giggled.

"Okay let's try this again," said Charles as he and the rest of the adults looked back down towards the Handbook for the Recently Deceased.

"Nec qui mecum in Concordia ut producat amorem unum sumus ad vitam," all four adults chanted. "In altera vita, futurum ut renascatur et ut diligatur iterum Prius moriatur!"

Both Lydia's ghost and her body began to glow in unison and all four adults watched as her ghost drifted back into her body. The flash of light subsided and the teenager displayed her first sign of movement in her second life, sitting upright and rubbing her head.

"Did it... work?" was the first thing the teenager asked.

All the adults sported huge grins on their faces as they all rushed over and tackled the now laughing teenage girl to the ground as Betelgeuse watched in the background (half-phased through a wall). Lydia was immediately bombarded with hugs and questions from her family.

"Woah, guys. One question at a time. I only just came back to life."

"Questions after a super big hug from all of us," reminded Barbara, winking knowingly. "Your first hug received in your second life."

"Barb, that is hardly a milestone."

"It's a milestone to us." Barbara ruffled Lydia's hair and the teen relaxed at the touch.

"What? Are you going to shower me with so much love it's going to get super overwhelming for me in the near future?" lightly teased Lydia and her family shared a laugh.

Betelgeuse wanted to leave them alone and head back to the Netherworld for a while as they all looked so happy being together and loving each other. But the biggest question was whether or not they would allow him to stay. If they did, then that was okay but if they didn't, then that would be fine as well. He knew when he wasn't welcome somewhere and he was most certainly unwelcome here.

"I think I'll just go back to the Netherworld I'm not welcome here anyways," he said, hoping that they didn't hear him say that. But they did. The five of them all turned their heads towards him, all showcasing concerned and worried expressions on their faces.

"Nono, stay. We won't mind. It will take some time for us to get used to you being around but," Lydia began, looking to her family for back up.

"We are not letting him stay!" her dad barked, making both her and Betelgeuse pout at him. "Not after everything he did to us all!"

"But dad, think of all the bad situations that could happen to us at certain points of the day that Betelgeuse could easily help us with with his powers. He'd be a great security system for the house!" complained Lydia.

"So would the Maitlands!" her dad said. "I know that you two are or were best friends with each other from what I've heard from the Maitlands earlier but he can't stay here forever. You know that."

"I'll handle this," said Barbara with a smile as she went over to where Lydia was standing (over near Betelgeuse) and placing an ice cold, comforting hand on the teenager's shoulder (she was lucky enough to make herself solid before doing this as she knew her hand was going to phase through Lydia's shoulder once again). "Lydia, sweetie, listen to me. while he would make a good security guard as well as Adam and I, I'm afraid I agree with your dad on this matter. He can't stay or even live here."

"You guys are no fun!" grumbled an annoyed Lydia sarcastically before lightening herself up. "But perhaps we can make some sort of arrangement?"

"We're listening," her dad said.

"Well, I was thinking maybe he could come when summoned to the house sometimes," Lydia began, all of her family raising their eyebrows in unison. "It would take some time to get used to him being around the house but it would be nice to get to know him better this way. Who knows, hidden under his evil exterior could be the nicest, sweetest, softest guy you'll ever have the pleasure to meet!"

"Lydia," her dad tried to say. Delia put a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"Nono, she's right," said Delia. "I believe in second chances and I believe we should give mr. Betelgeuse here a second chance. I agree with Lydia that he would make a great security system, as would the Maitlands. And it would be great to get to know him better. Remember, his mom was abusive and he needs someone to love him unlike her. He would be a great addition to the family and household."

"Delia, honey-"

Adam and Barbara nodded in agreement to what Lydia and Delia had said, leaving Charles the only one undecided about all of this. Charles frowned, still not willing enough to let the demon stay with them.

"Ugh!!! Alright, fine! He can go to and from the Netherworld if he pleases! But he is only allowed to be summoned by us for  emergencies and special occasions. And no funny business or I will change my mind about this. Do you understand me?" He jabbed his finger into the demon's stomach area as he spoke that last sentence.

Nervously and in agreement, the demon nodded and Charles went to stand back over near Delia and Barbara. Though he was now giving Betelgeuse the stink eye as if he knew the demon would get into all sorts of mischief with Lydia in the coming days and months.

"Good! Welcome to the family, Betelgeuse." The rest of the adults and Lydia wrapped their arms around the demon for his first real hug as a part of the family.

It was the happiest day ever to him and Lydia's second first birthday. What could go wrong?

A/N: I know the last sentence in this chapter feels like a good ending but this story's far from over and there's still so much I want to cover. Quick question, do you guys want the story to cover Lydia 2.0's first month reborn or her first year? Leave your answers in the comments.