Reminders

Betelgeuse was bored. And it had been an hour since Lydia had been brought back to life and he had been welcomed into the family. Everyone else had somewhere else to be at the moment, which meant he was on his own for now. Seriously? Being allowed to be part of the family and then being left all on your own to do nothing but laze about? Betelgeuse was starting to take it as the rest of the family was starting to change their minds about allowing him to be a part of the family.

"I hope you've not been bored for that long, bud." Betelgeuse looked up to find Lydia in the entranceway to the living room and smiling at him and he immediately became less bored than he had been. Hopefully now he could do something fun with Lydia. The teenager sat down next to Betelgeuse on the sofa and put a hand on his back, looking up at him with a friendly smile.

"Nah, I've just been feeling like everyone else is not giving me as much attention and love and care as I thought they would. Well all the adults. You care about me and am still my best friend, aren'tcha Lyds?"

Lydia nodded. "Duh! Did you really think our friendship was ever going to be broken? Even after you did a lot of things that hurt me and the rest of the family?"

"But- but you abandoned me to try and get your dead mom back," he stammered.

"And I regret doing that." Lydia looked down, not wanting to say what she was going to say next. "Nothing's ever going to bring her back, I know that now. I just have to keep looking forward to the future from now on and appreciate the family I have."

He suddenly stood up. "Wanna goof around like we did the past three days?"

"My dad said no funny business from you," Lydia reminded the demon. "Do you want him to change his mind about allowing you in the family?"

"No," said Betelgeuse, running upstairs.

"Beej!" Lydia sprinted up the stairs after him. "Where are you going?"

___________________

The Maitlands were in the middle of dusting the attic when Betelgeuse burst in followed by Lydia, who was out of breath. The Maitlands noticed this, Adam summoning Lydia a glass of water and Barbara sitting her down.

"Is there an issue, Lydia?" asked Barbara.

"Betelgeuse," she huffed. "He wants to do something chaotic and I keep trying to tell him that my dad's going to get mad at him and change his mind but he's not listening."

Barbara looked over at Betelgeuse, who was reaching up and trying to reach a can of paint at the moment. "Betelgeuse, she's right- what do you think you're doing with that can of paint? Put it back!"

Betelgeuse's hair became orange and he slowly slid the can of paint back onto the shelf where he'd found it. Barbara's yelling reminded him of the times his mother would yell at him for doing something wrong and he didn't like it, especially now.

"Betelgeuse, I'm-." Before Barbara could continue, he teleported away in a flash of bright light, leaving only Barbara, Lydia, and Adam staring at the spot in the attic where he'd recently just been. "Sorry?"

"I'll go down and see if he's okay in a bit," said Lydia, taking another sip of her water. "Right now, I want to talk to you guys. Get to know a little bit about you seeming as how we've only had very brief interactions within the last week."

"That's a great idea, Lydia! Now, where do I begin?"

________________________

Betelgeuse had teleported right back into Lydia's bedroom whilst Delia was in there making Lydia's bed. 'Good,' he thought to himself. He wanted to avoid Charles at the time, not wanting to make the grown living male mad. He hated when people got mad at him. It always reminded him of his mom.

"Betelgeuse? What a surprise." Delia looked up when she heard him grunt, quickly focusing back on Lydia's bed and finishing make it before going over to make sure he was okay. She had barely gotten to know or interact with the demon the past week and now was the time to change that. If he had a problem, which seemed to be likely, she was there to help him through it. "You got a problem?"

"Yeah. Barbara yelled at me. It reminded me of the countless times my mom would yell at me and it scared me." Betelgeuse sniffed. Delia wrapped her arms around the demon and he shifted, resting his head on her shoulder.

"I'm guessing all those times your mom yelled at you were traumatic," Delia guessed and Betelgeuse nodded. "We'll talk to Barbara later and let her know about this. Try to lessen the amount of yelling in this household. I'm a woman for positive energy and I don't particularly like negative energy. Less yelling at you should be good. 'Kay?"

Betelgeuse nodded again and removed his head from Delia's shoulder just as he heard Lydia shouting out "Beej!" so as to be careful not to accidentally say his name and send him back to the Netherworld.

"If you need anything else, I'll be downstairs," Delia said, leaving the room just as Lydia entered.

"Thought I'd find you here," the teen said with a laugh. "Checked the roof and you weren't there. I was so confused. The roof's where you usually go when you feel sad. What caused the change?"

"Wait? How do you know the roof's my usual sadness spot?" asked Betelgeuse, a little bit confused.

"Guess who overheard you lamenting about being invisible when they went out onto the roof to attempt suicide?" Lydia pointed at herself. "This girl!"

Betelgeuse was stunned. He'd been too caught up in attempting to get Lydia to say his name to summon him that he didn't even stop to think that Lydia saying she could see him before hand literally meant that she could hear his sad song.

"You okay?" the teen asked.

"Yeah, I should be. Why?"

"You wanna talk about it?" Lydia pulled Betelgeuse over to her bed and sat the two of them down onto it. "Have some best friend bonding time?"

All Betelgeuse could think of doing was nodding. This was what he needed right now. Some bonding time with his bestest bud in the whole living world.