Chapter 8

That night as I slept I had the strangest dream. I was walking through a beautiful green meadow, Loki right beside me. Hand in hand, we strolled across the huge meadow till we reached a small brook. Loki embraced me as we gazed into each other's eyes, romance and passion arising between us. He leaned closer and our lips met...

I awoke suddenly, shooting upright in bed. For a moment, I thought the dream was real, and it took me a minute to recover. After calming down, I laid back in bed and closed my eyes again. But a thought still lingered in my mind. Why was I having romantic dreams about someone I only friended two days ago?

The next day: Loki's POV: Early in the morning again, the maid Elspeth came scurrying down the hall to my cell. I was laying on my bed, contemplating things. "Good morning prince Loki!" She greeted me, smiling. I raised my head and looked at her. "Good morning " I replied. She stood there staring at me with questioning eyes. "I'm not telling you my story." I said, reading her mind for clarification. "How....do you have to keep reading my mind?" She asked. "Some thoughts are meant to be kept private." I chuckled at the young girl. "You do call me a trickster so..." I pointed out. Elspeth just shook her head, then proceeded to begin her work. I watched as she wiped down the walls, finding her a very curious, young thing. I'd never met anyone like her, at least who acted kindly towards me. It was like she wanted to understand me, to be my only friend. I was still a little wary of her, so I didn't want to tell her my story or call her friend without knowing her true intentions. After having so many people lie and deceive you, it can be difficult to trust someone again. We did already have one thing in common: our hatred for Odin. My story might seem more believable to her, since she knew and experienced what Odin was capable of. As I stood there thinking, Thor came strolling into the prison. "Good morning." Elspeth greeted him politely. "Good morning to you too, Lady Elspeth." He said in return. "Good morning brother." I said sarcastically. "How kind of you to come see me." "I'm not here for you, brother. I came to speak with Lady Elspeth." He answered. "With me? What about?" She inquired, pausing in her work. "Odin wishes your presence in the throne room as soon as your job down here is completed. Frigga wants to make your acquaintance." Thor said. "I'd be honored to meet the queen. I should be done by 6:00 at the latest." Elspeth told him. "That will be fine. Just don't forget." He said. "You'll finally meet the only decent person in the castle." I remarked. "Oh, shut up Loki. I don't require your input on everything I do and say." Thor told me. "What a shame. That must be why you do everything so poorly." I said, smirking at my "brother". Thor glared at me before storming out of the prison. Elspeth stared at me in shock. "Relax, this isn't new. He can't start trouble with me stuck in here." I assured her. "You're so timid, peasant. You need to learn to not have fear, or you'll never live to see another 50 years." "I try my best. My life was quite sheltered, so I haven't seen much yet." She said. "Well you're in Castle Asgard now, and you'll see and experience everything." I told her. "You have to be ready for it." Elspeth nodded before returning to her work. I settled myself in a corner with a good book, and whisked my mind away from the tragedies of prison life to the adventures of a story.

At the end of the day, as Elspeth was gathering her things, I stopped her for a moment. "Let's make a deal." I said. "If you work on your timidness and being fearful of everything, I'll begin my story." Her eyes lit up with hope. "I can't wait to hear it! Though I'm not sure if I can overcome my fearfulness. I think it's part of me." "Well work on it, or you'll never know my story." I told her. She sighed deeply and replied, "Okay, I'll try." "Good." I half smiled at her. "It's a deal then." She smiled back before rushing out of the prison to meet Odin's request. I returned to my corner and smiled to myself, knowing I could have everything my way and turning that girl into something more than a peasant.