Tracy chuckled lightly and smiled at the frowning little face. "I never understood why someone wouldn't want a child."

The little one soon settled down and fell asleep. Jordan had simply patted its back.

"You're really good at that."

"Yeah, well I've had practice. Reilly had lungs that could shatter glass." Tracy chuckled. Jordan smiled as he looked down at the precious face that was drooling on his shirt. "I'm glad I get to do this again."

"Congratulations by the way. With everything going on I forgot to congratulate you and Jackson earlier." 

"That's okay.  You've have a lot on your mind." He replied.

"After my father died, my mom did everything she could to fill the void for me and grandpa. I worried that she wasn't taking care of herself emotionally. Thank you for making her so happy."

"Jackson and I are the ones that are grateful. You're mother got the short end of the deal."

"Just keep her happy or Grandpa and I will be fighting over who gets to pump your guts full of lead."

"Duly noted." Jordan said nodding.

--------------

It was late afternoon before they reached a tiny town outside of Denver. They decided to stay here since the bus wouldn't be stopping for another 500 miles. The sketchy rental lot was almost empty. The only thing left was a small red Toyota Tercel.

"It's the latest model." The rental person told them before handing over the keys.

"I thought they stopped making these years ago." Tracy said.

"They did. About 20 years ago." Jordan said dryly.

"Y-yeah... but it was the last new one out the factory." The man said, scratching his scalp through the oily ill-placed hair piece.

Tracy rolled her eyes.  Placing her luggage in the back she got in. Jordan managed to twist his large frame into the driver's seat, his right arm crowding the console.

"Well, this sucks and it's on empty." He complained after starting the car.

Driving to a nearby gas station, they filled up the car and bought some snacks.

"Where to now?" Jordan asked.

"West to the highway and then south." Tracy replied. 

They had driven for about two hours before Jordan spoke. "Its desolate out here." There were no lights, road signs, or houses anywhere. The road was the only proof of civilization through the mountains. Remembering the last time she was in Colorado, Tracy began looking around for anything familiar when a small sign caught her attention. It read Dark Hill Valley. Suddenly she knew where they were. Before Tracy could say anything a disembodied voice cried 'Danger!' in her head.

"Stop the car!" She screamed. Jordan attempted to brake but it was too late.  Their car had crashed into something or rather someone. Spinning uncontrollably off the road, it slammed into a large pine, showering pieces of the car's glass and plastic along its path.

Stunned by the impact when it stopped, Tracy shook her head to clear the ringing in her ears. Her door had been ripped off and a familiar face covered with blood peered in.

"Help us!" the desperate voice of Ms. Farlow pleaded. "they're coming!"

"Who?" Tracy said,  unbuckling her belt and rolling out the car.

"Prince Grim and his Reapers." She exclaimed.

Tracy didn't get a chance to question her further before they were surrounded by emaciated creatures that smelled of death and decay. The corpse like beings had no identifiable race or gender. Long fangs protruded from their skeletal jaws, black eyes staring soullessly in hunger.

Tracy felt the power of her ancestral Protectors surge through every fiber of her being. Her eyes burned silver as she stood up to watch them come at her in waves, pouring forth to attack them with their long dagger like claws extended.

"HERE!" Ms. Farlow said, tossing Tracy a sheathed sword.

"Stay with my step father." Tracy demanded, above the roar of the charging horde.

Tugging on the intricate black and gold handle, she separated the sword from its leather sheath revealing a silver blade. Ancient symbols etched on both sides of the metal glowed brightly in the dark, proclaiming its magical properties. When she raised the weapon high, a burst of light illuminated the grassy clearing exposing the creatures.

Blinded by it, they screamed out freakishly, before attacking Tracy and themselves. She swung the sword with smooth precision, slicing through their flesh and bone with ease.  Effortlessly wielding the weapon with every stroke, she destroyed them all, each one disintegrating into a pile of smoking white ash. 

With the enemy vanquished, Tracy checked on Jordan and Ms. Farlow. With her adrenaline still pumping, Tracy used her strength to pull Jordan's large frame from the wrecked car. Ms. Farlow helped carry him to a medium sized shed a quarter mile into the woods on coven land. The space was tight and Jordan's body took up most of the dust covered floor. A deep gash and large knot on his bloodied forehead were slowly healing, along with other cuts and bruises on his body.

"What's going on?" Tracy asked, as soon as she removed the bag that concealed the journal to make sure it wasn't damaged.

"We were attacked by a disgraced Royal." Ms. Farlow said.  She pulled a first aid kit from one of the shelves and tended to Jordan's wounds. "Prince Grim was banished to the inner core of the Arctic Circle millenniums ago.  Somehow he has came back." She said.

"Who is Prince Grim?" Tracy asked pulling out two empty 5 gallon buckets to use as seats.

"During the time of the witch Ivory White, many Vampire Royals followed her rule and dedicated themselves to assisting her to gain ultimate power. One of them was the Vampire Prince, Gairim Manassah, a  son of the High King.

The young Royal became the witch's commanding general. The blood that flowed and the horrors he inflicted were so terrifying that even his own soldiers were executed when they refused to do his bidding, gaining him the fearsome moniker, Prince Grim. As a reward for his service, Ivory White raised an army of fallen warriors with violent spirits called Reapers.  They followed his every command without hesitation, question or, most importantly conscious."

Ms. Farlow sighed as she finished dabbing Jordan's cuts with antiseptic. "He's back now and has been attacking covens looking for the only weapons designed to destroy his army, the Ebony swords."

"Were there any survivors? Lady Anna?"

"There were some, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're all dead now. The connections I had with my coven have lessened." Ms. Farlow said sadly. "He'll keep Lady Cloud alive, at least for a while."

"Why would he do that? I mean that's good but why?" Tracy asked.

"Lady Cloud was entrusted with one of the Ebony Swords by a witch named Lucy."

"LUCY?!"

================================

So Lucy is a person and we're once again at Dark Valley Coven... sort of.

For Cade's sake, I hope Lady Anna is rescued.

Any predictions or thoughts?