CHAPTER 1 Part 2

RALF MARSHALL

A couple of weeks ago I recieved an invitation to attend a Ball hosted by our neighboring pack. The shadow pack, these kind of events are known for helping wolves find their mates and since I have no interest in finding my mate I really didn't feel like going but for the sake of just making an appearance I accepted.

I even forgot about it until the day arrived at my beta Damon strolled in my office to talk to me about it " have you decided on what to wear? I really don't want to be late for the ball"

"yes how could I forget that my second in command is a party animal" I said feeling uninterested in the whole thing.

"not just that, tonight might be the night you find your mate" Damon said as he pulled out a chair

"Yea well I hope I don't" I said nbad Damon just looked at me with a blank expression, he was well aware of how I feel about the whole mate thing. It's quite stupid to be honest. How can the goddess take it upon herself to decide who should end up with who. I know the mate pull automatically makes you fall head over heels for your mate but I'd rather choose my own partner than to risk ending up with a no good weakling or someone I would have never wanted if it were not for the damn mate bond.

Tonight isn't about me finding a mate. It's just me keeping up appearances and besides I've decided to take my.... I don't really know what to call her, but just someone I hook up with from time to time, she might even come in handy. If I do happen to meet my mate I'll use Dawn to make her see that she's unwanted.

With that thought I got up and went to get dressed. I settled for a simple navy suit and a white shirt complemented by a black thin tie. Dawn wore a navy dress that stopped at thigh level with with some black stilettos and her hair was let loose. Together we looked like the perfect couple. That should be good enough to keep my mate away, I thought as she twirled for me before we made our way to the shadow pack.

Upon arrival we went through the usual greetings, boring speeches, we had supper and then everyone started socializing, great. Two more hours then I'm out, I thought to myself as I glanced at my watch.

"wanna dance baby?" Dawn asked asked as she walked up to me

"no, I'd rather stand here and drink until it's time to go home" I said as I reached for another drink from the bartender at the open bar

"why bother attending these things if you don't want to?" she asked

"I told you, it's just for show. Alpha Tyler and I are on good terms, he's an ally so I'm doing for him what he would and will do for me, it's alpha business, no need to crack your head about it really" I said mindlessly

Just then Damon and his mate walked to us and I was grateful that I was saved from explaining simple alliance rules to Dawn. Looking at Damon and his mate Ginah, I somewhat envied them, the love between the two, the connection they share, a part of me longed for that but that feeling never lasted. I stood by my words, I don't want a mate, I'll choose my own destiny whether Artemis likes it or not.

"Are you having a good time Alpha? Spotted anyone yet?" Ginah asked, she was one of the few people who could be casual with me, not just because she was my beta's mate but also because she was my childhood friend.

"no, not yet" I simply answered not wanting to get into the whole 'I don't want a mate' discussion with her and especially with Dawn around, the last thing I want is to give Dawn false hope. She needs to know that at the moment she's just providing pleasure and nothing, she's simply a means to an end.

"the night is still young" she said as she raised her champagne glass, if there's one thing the goddess got right it's pairing her and Damon together, the two are very much alike you'd swear they are twins, it's actually quite cute.