One Thing

Guys, you'll never believe! It's an update!!! I stayed up really late to get this started and then finished it off this morning. Now I'm getting right into studying...since exams are literally 3 days away! Please vote and comment on the chapter! It would be the best gift ever right now! Love you guys! 

Oh and lookie lou who decided to pop into the story.... Just a particular character we all love. ;)

Water trickled over the petals of the overflowing flower baskets. I tipped the watering can farther, intent on getting the last few drops out. Their bright and happy faces brought a smile to my face as I moved along to the next and the next. 

One thing was for certain: Aunt Elizabeth had a passion for flowers. 

A soft wind blew, rustling a few stray strands that had fallen from my braided hair. I found my eyes wandering far off to the Horan estate. I set the watering can down and sat on the steps near the front door. I wrapped my arms carefully around myself and chewed on my lip in thought. 

It had been a number of days since my incident with Niall. I wondered if anything would ever change; if one day I'd turn around and realize just how different things had become. I hoped they'd be different...

The sound of a vehicle from farther down the road caught my attention and I watched as a truck pulled up to the house. The black paint was coated in a layer of fine dust and the windows were tinted darkly. 

Aunt Elizabeth had gone to town; I was home alone. 

The door opened and a thickly-built young man swung out. His jeans were light and faded and he wore a green plaid button up. His hair was a soft brown and a light stubble covered his jaw. Dark sunglasses concealed his eyes. 

He looked slightly intimidating, yet more than slightly attractive. I felt my stomach do a couple flips. 

"Good afternoon, miss," he started, stepping in front of me.

I glanced up cautiously, nodding my head in greeting.

"I'm not used to the area, and I was hoping you could help me. I'm looking for a Niall Horan and am wondering where I can find him."

"N-niall?" I stammered, then quickly pointed to the rise of the hill. "That, there, would be the Horan estate."

The man's eyes followed my finger and took in the sight before him, before smirking. "That would be about right."

"And you are?" I questioned a touch too harshly.

His head snapped back around to meet my gaze. He then removed his sunglasses and I gulped. "Do forgive me! My name is Liam, Liam Payne."  

I shook his hand politely, noting his firm and friendly grip. He looked tanned, as if he had been someplace warm. 

"What's your name, miss?" 

"Kayla Gordon." 

The way his body froze puzzled me. "Miss Gordon? You're THE Kayla Gordon?" 

"I'm the only one I know," I chuckled slightly. 

His eyes scanned my body and searched my face before he let out a deep breath. "Wow." 

Liam grasped his keys tightly in his fist, then nodded his head in my direction. "Thank you for the directions. I'll be seeing you Miss Gordon." 

I quickly jumped up from my perch on the steps. "Wait! Do you not want to come inside for a brief while? Have something to drink perhaps?" 

He shot me a strange look and chuckled nervously.