Chapter 43

Bren's POV

That evening I try everything to get in touch with Harry. I call him multiple times, send emails, and even break out the old-school paper and pen. When I read over the letter I crumple it up and continue calling his phone before calling the others.

Zayn. Voicemail.

Louis. Voicemail.

Liam. Voicemail.

When I call Niall he answers on the first ring.

"Hello?" I hear him say from the other end.

"Hey Niall," I reply and there's a long pause.

"Who is this?" he says.

"Brendalyn," I reply and I hear him take a deep breath.

"Look Bren," he says. "Harry isn't really in a good place right now and I don't think you're helping."

"Niall, I just need to talk to him," I tell him.

"No he's trying to get ove--"

"This is important," I reply pleading and I hear him take a huge breath.

"What?"

"Wait. First you have to promise not to tell Harry. I have to tell him myself."

"Okay, I won't tell Harry," he says.

"Promise?"

"I promise," he replies.

"Pinky promise?"

"Brendalyn! Just tell me damn it!" he says his accent getting thicker than usual.

"I'm pregnant," I say.

There's a long pause.

"Niall?"

"I'm sorry," he says.

"Sorry about what?" I question.

"I have to tell Harry," he says and my heart stops.

"No! You promised! Don't!"

"I know I promised but this wasn't what I was expecting! He needs to know!" he exclaims.

"I know he does and that's why I'm going to tell him myself!" I reply.

"How far along are you?"

"Four weeks," I say and I can practically hear the disapproval in his voice.

"You've been pregnant for four weeks and now you think it's a good time to tell Harry?"

"It's not like I could get in contact with him! Besides I just found out too!" I reply beginning to pace.

"Ah, yeah. You're right," he says sighing. "Well, I guess you need to tell him very soon."

"How am I supposed to do that?" I ask him.

"I don't know," he says. "We'll work something out just come to my place."

"Okay," I reply grabbing my house keys off of the counter. I climb into the first taxi I see and head off.

Niall's house is at least an hour away but the ride seems a lot shorter this time. After I pay the driver a ridiculous amount of money I enter the lobby to the building head up to his floor. The high-class building has marble countertops and granite floors. When I reach his flat I gently tap on the door which swings open almost instantly.

"Hey," I simply say trying not to cower in shame.

"Hey. Come in," he replies opening the door wider so that I can get through.

"So..."

"Do you want coffee or something?" he asks grabbing two mugs out of his cupboard.

"Is that--you know--okay?" I ask.

"Yeah it's fine with me," he replies completely missing the point.

"No, I meant okay with the baby."

He thinks for a long moment and heavily considers the question.

"Well," he says finally pulling out his phone for resource. "According to Baby Center if you regularly have more than 200mg of caffeine a day while you're pregnant, you are more at risk of miscarriage or having a baby with a low birth weight. This 200mg limit includes all sources of caffeine, so as well as coffee you'll need to count teas, cola, energy drinks and chocolate."

"Well that sucks. I like coffee," I reply having a seat in one of his leather arm chairs.

"Sorry, I'll get you something else then," he replies and fills the mug up with ice and water.

"Thanks," I say as he hands me the cup.

"You're welcome."

There's a knock on the door and Niall excuses himself to go answer it. I stay seated as I see three people walk in. Two guys followed by a girl. Well, Claire.

"You are two hours early," Niall says to one of the guys.

"Oh, my bad."

No one notices me sitting here but when Claire's radar finally detects my presence she shoots me a look of pure disgust.

Screw you too.

Niall continues to try to shoo these people out of his flat but they insist on staying. Meanwhile, I try to ignore dirty looks from Harry's salty ex.

Being who he is Niall eventually gives up arguing and let's them stay. He gives me a sympathetic look as he sits on the couch next to me.

"Later," he whispers covering up one side of his face so his unwanted guests won't catch on.

When I look up Claire is still staring at me with hatred. No matter how much I'd hate to admit it she's pretty. She's sitting there all skinny and perfect meanwhile I look like the useless roasted yam emoji.

"I should probably go," I say accidentally interrupting their conversation.

"Okay, call me," he says as I stand from the sofa.

"Yeah," I simply reply walking out of the door.