The first time I'd visited my father's homeland, I was ten and thought it was a hidden garden of Eden- the land of plentiful and splendor. The second and third time, I was in my teens and irritated that instead of spending the summer in Brooklyn, I was subjected to spending time with my European ancestors.

All three times that I'd found myself in my father's kingdom, I felt something strange. The half of myself that normally laid dormant seemed to awaken and felt... alive as Cedric and I walked through the Summer court's streets.

The tall, sparkling stone pieces of architecture looked more like pyres than buildings. Even the trees that laid on the outskirts of the court's realm seemed to hang over the streets either to threaten or protect- I wasn't sure which. This time, however, without my father to protect me, the city seemed more vast and more terrifying than it ever had.

"The other courts and the other cities," I began, leaning toward's Cedric's broad shoulders, "do they look anything like this?"

He pondered my question for a moment, leading me through the streets filled with the Summer fair folk. Here they didn't have to use glamours, or hide who they really were. Lake maidens, pixies, elves, and all others of the fey kind were free here. Horns, vibrant colors of skin, strange markings, or razor-sharp teeth weren't hidden away. 

Slightly terrifying to a half-mortal not used to such things.

"Of the four in Elphame, the Summer court holds the widest stretch of land and easily the most beautiful," Cedric answered, "the city is larger, the castle is grander, and the people are..."

He struggled to find the right word.

"Nicer?"

He smirked a little. "Let's just say that they hide their malice in prettier boxes than the people of the Autumn or Winter courts."

"Great," I muttered.

Reluctantly, I restrained myself from asking him more questions on the matter. My bodyguard was somewhat of a closed book, and I ached to ask him when and why he'd seen the other courts. What adventures did a faerie knight get up to in the 21st century anyway?

The question bubbled up on my lips before I stumbled over a piece of upturned cobblestone on the stairs leading up to the hulking castle before us. He held out an arm to steady me, his eyebrow raised in mild concern.

"Is the portal still affecting you?"

I glared at him. "It's not every day I'm shoved through some magical woodland transporter thing in Jersey to visit a whole different dimension."

"So, that is a yes?"

I sighed at his blank expression and straightened up, disliking the fact that his hand was still on my arm. I removed it.

"Perhaps I'll take you to your quarters before you meet with the queen."

"What? Why?"

He turned and gave me a once over.

"Your shirt reads 'let that shit Gogh' across Van Gogh's forehead. And while I'm sure it is very amusing to you, I do not think it will be to the Queen."

I snickered, glancing down at my t-shirt, which was a gift from Ellie. Cedric was not amused. Instead, he rolled his eyes and continued climbing the large steps to the hulking stone palace.

"You're right," I told him, and he glanced back, a little surprised. An impish smile spread across my face. "It is very amusing to me."

***

The amount of silk, velvet, and tulle that was poking out of the enormous mahogany wardrobe would've put a Disney Princess to shame. Cedric, unfortunately, had been correct again. Meeting with my grandmother warranted a certain decorum- and dress code.

icon lock

Show your support for Kennedy, and continue reading this story

by Kennedy
@Kennedylee
''Don't you remember, little flower?'' he asked, his voice low and me...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 38 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @Kennedylee.