Chapter 12 - And for once, Naruto's not in big troubl- oh, spoke too soon

CW: caps, shouting   ---   TW: v10lence and injury, reference to d34th

Beep, beep, beep, be-

"OI ANSWER THAT STUPID THING ALREADY!"

"Fine..."

Groaning, Isen reached for his phone, looking at the screen with bleary eyes. Suddenly alert, he gaped at it for a few moments before whispering, "Flip, it's Arlo."

"I don't give a damn about who it is, just turn the blasted thing off."

Shivering, Isen stumbled out of bed and into the kitchen, where he pressed the green button with shaking fingers.

"Yes?"

"4 minutes and 31 seconds..." The voice of Arlo muttered from the phone.

"Eh?"

"4 minutes and 31 seconds... That was how long it took you to pick up."

By now, Isen was 100% sure he was going to die.

"Sorry? I've been busy lately with all the fake Jokers running around."

"..." By the sound of, or rather, lack of it, Arlo wasn't very impressed by his excus- his answer.

After a few nerve-wracking seconds (Isen was sure his lifespan had decreased dramatically within those few seconds , considering how fast his heart had been beating) Arlo sighed and Isen could imagine him shaking his head as well.

"I need you to do me a favour. It won't take long."

Screw Arlo and his 'favours', Isen had other stuff to do (not like he was going to actually say it to Arlo's face, of course.)

"Sure, as long as it doesn't take off a good chunk of my free time."

"Alright."

Hmm. Did Arlo just sound relieved? Nah, Isen's ears were probably just playing tricks on him. Too many Jokers running around and too much responsibility must REALLY be getting to him. Maybe he should ask for a break?

"So I want you to go and stalk someone."

"Right, who do you want me to stalk-"

Arlo's words finally sunk in.

"Wait wait waaaaiiit! Hold. Backtrack. You? Want ME? TO STALK SOMEONE??? AND YOU'RE ACTUALLY PHRASING IT LIKE THAT THIS TIME???"

Isen decided that his ears were indeed faulty. Arlo, phrasing Isen's investigations like that? And after what had happened last time with John?

"No beating up random 'cripples' at Turf Wars and making a psychopath attack the school and dethrone you this time?"

"..."

The other side was silent. Isen sighed exasperatedly.

"Fine. I'll do it. But one day, okay? ONE. DAY."

"Good. His name is Naruto Uzumaki. I think he transferred here a few days ago."

"And what did he do to incur your holy wrath?"

"Nothing."

"...eh? Nothing?"

"No. He was just suspicious."

Isen almost facepalmed. Almost. He was holding his phone, after all. Sure, with all these fake Jokers running around, Arlo should be more paranoid, but wasn't this too much? However, because he valued his life, Isen decided to not question him.