I.

I.

~Cheri~

Location: Mississippi

Last time together with Lennon: 0 months 0 hours 0 minutes

There is something captivating about the way just one little thing can change your life so dramatically. Like if you wait to leave work five minutes later, you wouldn't get in an accident. If you had counted another five before going to find your little sister in a game of hide-and-seek.

Or my personal favorite, if your parents had decided to move into a house exactly a block away. Then you would have never been best friends with the boy next door.

Take me for example. I have lived in the same place all my life, same country, same state, same house. It is my favorite place in the world. Right next to my favorite person, my best friend, Lennon Daves.

Unfortunately, all this changed in the blink of an eye. It happened all so quick and I had no time to process what it would feel like living in another place besides here in Mississippi, it was my home, how could I just get up and leave my home and just create one somewhere else.

My whole life can change, just because my parents, and Lennon’s have been deported to another station of the army.

Everything changed, because of their work.

Lennon and I changed, because of their work.

So, that brings me here. In the car, on the way to the airport, departing my favorite city, saying bye to my favorite person. All for god knows how long. It may be months, years, centuries until we saw each other again, but I’m sure it will be worth it later when we see each other.

“And we are very proud of you for taking this so well. We know it is going to be hard on you and Lennon, but we know you will make it work.” My mom finished up her little lecture, as the city flew by my window. Everything flowing by like a nightmare. that won't stop, when you can't wake up.

“Cheri, are you sure you are going to be okay with this?” My dad asked, peering over the back of the seat to look at me. His kind blue eyes locking with mine.

“Yeah.” I shrugged as I moved to look at him, my voice unconvincing even to me. “I understand you have to do what is necessary.” I replied as I looked out the car window again.

“Thanks sweetie.” My dad smiled, a worn out smile, showing wrinkles in his forehead, and turned back around to face the dashboard.

My phone buzzed, and I looked down at my lap, where it lay, screen up. It was a text from Lennon. 

At airport. Our flight leaves in an hour. You on your way? 

I frowned at the screen. Our texts used to be full of exclamation points and emoticons. Now all of our sentences end with periods. Almost as if we are too afraid to express any emotion, even through text.

Pulling up now.

I clicked my phone off, as our taxi came to a stop, pulling up at the curb of the airport.

“Thank you.” My dad said, handing a wod of cash to the driver, who nodded, getting out of the car to get our bags.

“Are Lennon and his family here?” My mom asked me, as I stepped up onto the curb, taking my bag from the driver.

“Yeah, I think they are inside.” I looked around, scanning the airport for the face of my best friend.

I waited anxiously as my dad got the rest of our bags. We had a total of four suitcases. We had to pack light. We are going to be moving around a lot, now that my dad has agreed to be mobile.