XXVI.

XXVI.

<Lennon>

Last Time With Cheri: 21 Months 3 Weeks 5 Days 55 Minutes

Dear Cherry-Pie,

I guess I am probably standing over you as you read this, but I can't ruin our letter pattern. And I don't think that I could ever say this to your face. You know that cliche story of the boy and girl who are friends their whole life and then end up falling in love? And you know how we were always told that we would end up loving each other? We always denied our fate. But I can't deny my feelings anymore. I fit into this cliche stereotype. I fell in love with my childhood best friend. I love you Cheri Matthews.

This is going to make things awkward, but this distance has only made me realise how much I love you. I had to put it out there and now that I've written it I can't take it back. I love you. I love you.

I can only hope that you love me back,

Love,

Lenny-Bear

I looked out the window at the land growing closer and closer, the wings of the plane dividing the Mississippi scenery in half. The more time passed, the closer I was to seeing Cheri.

"You excited to see her?" Kamrin nudged my elbow from her middle seat next to me.

"Who?" I asked innocently.

"Cheri you idiot." She pointed to the letter I had on my lap and the pen positioned next to the last word I wrote.

"Yeah." I let out a breath, not even denying it. "I'm also nervous."

"She likes you too, Len." Kamrin said, such assurance in her voice that I wanted to believe her.

"How do you know?" I asked, my head turning back to the ground coming closer.

"Because I have known her as long as you have, and I know she loves you." Her words calmed my nerves, and my heart started to race faster, anticipating the plane landing.

"We have arrived in Mississippi." The captain's voice sounded over the PA system.

"We're home." My dad whispered to us, stirring from his sleep next to Kamrin.

We taxied to the gate, and I could feel Kamrin bouncing in her seat next to me as we watched out the window together at the familiar airport scenery that we had missed the last three years.

I pulled my phone out of my backpack and turned it on. I waited for it to power on before I texted Cheri.

Just landed!!! Where are you?

Her response came a moment later and I smiled at her all capital letters, loving the familiarity of it.

BY GATE 72! CAN'T WAIT 2 C U!!

I looked out the window and saw that we were pulling up to gate 71, perfect.

We are pulling up to gate 71!

My knee started to bounce up and down and my heart sped up the closer we got to the gate.

"Calm down Len." Kamrin laughed, placing her hand on my knee as the plane stopped at the gate.

"We hope you enjoyed your flight and enjoy your time here in Mississippi. We hope to see you on another one of our flights soon." The pilot spoke, and the seatbelt sign clicked off. A moment later the walkway was full with people shoving their way to the door. When we finally made it to the jet way my heart was racing a mile a minute, but my feet were moving too slow for how quickly I wanted to see Cheri.