Confessions

We left the waiting room and headed downstairs. I was planning on staying anyway but Kim beat me to the punch. "Mom. Dad. Sean and I would like to stay up here with Tracy for a while. Do you mind?" Kim asked.

"That's fine." Dad said. "I want you two to remember what I said though."

"We will." I said. "Thanks for everything. I love you guys" I gave everybody hugs and kisses. I gave my keys to Mom. "See you at home later." Kim hugged and kissed our parents and siblings goodbye.

When our parents and brothers left, I started to go back up to Tracy's room. Kimberly stopped me. "Wait, Sean. I need to talk to you first. Sit down." I sat down on one of the benches outside and Kim started. "Listen, little brother. I talked to Tracy for quite a while before y'all got here. She's not only hurting but she's scared, Sean."

"Scared of what?" I asked.

"She's afraid that no man is gonna want anything to do with her after all of this." she said. "I know that's not true. I know how you feel about her. You do still have feelings for her, don't you?"

"Yes. Yes, I do." I replied. "It just kills me to see her in here like this."

"You need to tell her how you feel then." she said. "She needs to hear that. She needs to know that she's not alone."

"Do you really think now is the best time?" I asked.

"Yes." she replied. "She needs to know that there is someone willing to stand by her. You need to tell her, Sean."

"Okay, I'll tell her but I have to do it in my own way." I said. "Mom and Dad took my Suburban home. My keyboard was in it. You don't, by any chance, have any instruments in your SUV, do you?"

"My guitar is in there and I actually think I might have a keyboard in the back. Why?" she asked.

"I wrote a song I wanna play for her." I said. "Do me a favor. Check if you have the keyboard. If not, bring me the guitar. I suck at playing that but it'll have to do. I'm gonna head upstairs."

"I'll check and meet you up there." she said as she walked to her Explorer. I headed back up to Tracy's room. I sat down in the chair beside her bed and took her hand.

"Who is that?" she asked. Her eyesight still wasn't the best with all the swelling.

"It's me. Sean." I replied.

"Oh, I thought you guys left." she said. "I was hoping to talk to you before you left anyway."

"Kim's still here too." I said. "She's downstairs checking on something. She'll be up here in a minute. And I need to talk to you too."

Just then, Kimberly walked in the door carrying a small keyboard case. "It's not one of our bigger ones but it should work." she said.

"It's perfect." As Kim unpacked the keyboard, I turned to Tracy. "Tracy, I've never said anything before because I didn't want to cause any issues but, well, I've had feelings for you for quite a while now."

"Really?" she asked. "How long?"

"Oh, I don't know." I said. "I was interested from when I first saw you at the grocery store that day."

"Wow. Really? That was almost two months ago." She squeezed my hand. "One question. What's the keyboard for?"

"Well, I wrote a song about a month ago. Now that I think about it, the lyrics fit not only me but you too. It was picked up by Rascal Flatts last week." I set the keyboard on my lap and started to play. "It's called Bless The Broken Road."

I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you

Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you
Yes He did

I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there, you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true.

Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

Now I'm just rolling home
Into my lover's arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you.

That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you.

I finished the song and we all had tears in our eyes. "That was beautiful." Tracy said. "I like you too Sean but..." Her voice changed a little as she started to cry. "There's things you don't know about. Things you may not like."

"Like what?" I asked her. "Whatever it is, we'll deal with it."

"I....." She started to say something but suddenly stopped. She looked over to Kimberly.

"You can tell him. He'll understand." Kim said. "I need you to trust me. I know my brother better than anybody."

Tracy shook her head. "I can't. I'm scared."

Kim took her other hand. "If it'll make it easier for you, I can tell him." With a fearful expression, Tracy finally nodded yes. "Okay, honey. Calm down. Things will work out. I need you to trust me on this."

Kim looked at me. "Sean, she's pregnant. She's scared to death because she's convinced that any guy that finds out is going to tuck tail and run."

I won't lie to you. It hit me kind of hard and fast but, all in all, Kim was right. She knew me like the back of her hand and she knew how I would react to it.

I lightly squeezed Tracy's hand. "You thought that was going to scare me off?" I asked her. She nodded, still crying. "It didn't. I'm still here. I'll always be here. No matter what."

I never figured there would be a time when I couldn't be by her side....

Author's Note: This chapter took a while. It just never seemed right. It still doesn't, to be honest. I decided to go ahead and publish it so I can move on with the story. I hate getting tied up on one chapter.

Okay, let's do a little trivia here. I'll give a shout out to the first to give me the correct answers to this.

While this story's timeline does coincide with Rascal Flatts' release of Bless The Broken Road (on an album later that year and as a single in early 2005), Rascal Flatts was not the first to record it. Who was and in what year? Both answers required for the shout out. Good luck everybody.

- TeeKay